Vortex and the E6 Kamado — need some help

Please share some cooks that you’d recco to try with vortex. Maybe I’m doing it wrong when using vortex? Which fuel is preferred?
I'm mostly using the vortex in the center of the WSK w/center of the grate removed. Cooking chicken thighs all around the outside (skinless). It's the same set up shown by Bradley Mack (shown here again). I've been using Fogo's "regular" lump, bottom vents full open, top vents about 1/3 open. I've been dumping a full chimney into the Vortex... could probably get by with 2/3 chimney, the WSK gets really hot with that much lit charcoal.

Note: I'm looking for a "vortex" that is < 4" tall. Something around 3.75" would be ideal for the WSK. 4" vortex height doesn't fit properly between top grate and charcoal grate.... I called the original Vortex company to see if they'd make one for the WSK and they weren't at all interested..... I reminded them of how important I think I am and my "All Star" TWBB forum status and somehow this didn't matter to them ;)\

Obviously, the Vortex is a "nice to have" and we can make great food without it... but we like solving first world problems here on this forum....

1653167713428.png

Back