Vintage Kettle Score / Question re: Cooking Grates: SS vs. "Conventional"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Walsh

TVWBB Fan
A few weeks ago, I picked up on E-bay (for $6.57) a 1970's era Bar-B-Q-Kettle - Arlington Heights, ILL, no date code, teak handle w/ two rivets, steel side handles on the bowl, three daisy-wheel bottom vents, and old-style clipless "twist-off" open ash catcher.

This is a beautiful specimen - a little faded, but no significant chips, dents, dings, scratches or rust on either the lid or the bowl. Additionally, the steel legs are heavier-duty than the aluminum legs on my One-touch, and the Bar-B-Q-Kettle just feels more "stable." In defense of modern kettles, however, I should report that I was very surprised to discover that the lid on the 1970's kettle is not perceptibly heavier than the EE lid on my One-Touch. This suggests to me that Weber's kettles (if not their legs) are no less substantial today than they were 30 to 40 years ago.

As many here might imagine, I am very pleased with this new addition to my fleet.

However, and perhaps not surprisingly, the cooking grate that came with this antique has some rust, and I intend to replace it. This brings me to my question.

The cooking grate on the Bar-B-Q-Kettle is of a noticeably heavier gauge than the hinged grate on my One-Touch. I see that the price shown on Weber's website for the 18.5" hinged SS cooking grate is lower than the price of the "non-SS" hinged cooking grate of the same size. I would appreciate the community's guidance re: the respective pros and cons of SS and non-SS grates. As I already have hinged grates on my One-Touch, I would like to get the heaviest gauge grates I can find for the Bar-B-Q-Kettle, but would also like the benefit of your experience . . .

(I did not find a listing for a 22.5" "non-SS" cooking grate - hinged OR conventional).

Thanks for your input.

How the heck did I miss that on ebay!

Post us a pic or three!

I like my hinged SS grates - I bought mine directly from Weber. Then again, I've never really "worn out" my non-SS, no hinged grates, I just replaced them.

Is the grate that came on your vintage Kettle beyond repair with some steel wool and elbow grease?

Pat

there are hinged and non hinged regular grates available for the 18 and 22. ss hinged only for
the 18 and 22. can't you use a wire wheel with a drill and clean up the old grate ? nice find by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back