Video of my turkey smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Israel

TVWBB Member
We smoked another turkey for Christmas. I think it actually came out BETTER than my thanksgiving turkey!

As promised, I made a video of the process. It's about 11 minutes long and the high quality is about 19 MB (The lower quality is about 8.5 MB). Sorry for the poor sound, we're testing the new video camera, I guess I should yell louder or get a microphone... Hey, it's not Food Network... Turn up the sound!

I hope this is helpful (I'm trying to provide some assistance to a few newbies in thanks of all the help I've gotten here!) Maybe even a few of the "masters" will watch it and give me a few pointers! Drop me a line if you like it or if you have questions or advice!

Thanks and have a great holiday (while I plan my next smoke!)

What do you mean you're not Emeril? Bammm!! You're Daniel. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Watching as I type butt I gotta tell ya, this is great!

Job well done!

Not bad guy! Very good for a 1st movie /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Would like to have seen it on the table after carving . . .

I think you've started something here! Gears are turning, smoke is coming out of my top vents . . . . . /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Daniel,

A job well done.

It's now the 27th and after watching your video I'm off to the supermarket to see if I can find a post-Christmas discounted turkey to brine and smoke myself.

Cheers,
Jack

Daniel, great job. The only thing I would add is; if you can use food grade products for brining, please do so. Leave the trash bags out of the cooler. The cooler is food safe and good on its own. Just wash it down when you're done.
There's lots of nasty stuff in plastic if it's not processed correctly.
Biggest problem is how to stuff a cooler in the fridge. Better is to find a non-reactive container that will fit inside the doors/walls. It might take some research but is well worth the tradeoff of unwanted petroleum ingestion. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I have that same cooler, and being as it has no drain, I too, would have left out the trash bags. Other than the sound problem-- a lapel mike would probably have just gotten in the way, anyway-- the only thing I would add would be a caveat to wait before inserting the thermometer probe on a high-temp cook until the cooker temp is stabilized below the probe's rated temp. Otherwise, a bang-up job.

Oh, and a question about the salt: My brines use what ends up being 1 cup kosher to ultimately 2 gallons of liquid, a la Alton Brown-- yours doubles that. No problems with saltiness?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bob j:
[qb] The only thing I would add is; if you can use food grade products for brining, please do so. Leave the trash bags out of the cooler. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The easiest way I've found to brine turkeys is in a Reynolds turkey bag. They are food safe and cut down on the amount of brine you need. Just put the bird and brine in the bag and place the bag in a cooler with ice to keep it good and cold and fill up the rest of the cooler. I have a 5 gallon bucket cooler that works great for this.

Rich

Well, surprisingly, people liked my video!! I'm so happy somebody is getting something out of it. Maybe I will do it again with another type of meat.

I'll keep in mind, bob, the deal with the cooler and the bags.

I'm not Bobby Flay. Hell, I'm not that baby-faced... but hell, Bobby Flay can't bench press 500 pounds, now can he?

Maybe next time I'll do a brisket... midnight smoke coming!

excellent video and great looking bird..would love to see it sliced after resting/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

how hard is it to do? (the vidoe part)

Hey Guys, maybe Chris will make a video section so all the newbies can learn how to smoke different meats in real time. I think that would be great. What about it Chris? Happy New Year everyone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Prince:
[qb] excellent video and great looking bird..would love to see it sliced after resting/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

how hard is it to do? (the vidoe part) [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>David, the video was pretty easy. I mean, I was going to smoke the turkey anyway. It was just a matter of deciding what I was going to say etc. (I've made a few scenes before, a friend of mine is a film student, and I do stunt stuff and fight choreography for him...) After that, my wife just held the camera (tripod) and did some of the slight moving you see. Then I uploaded it to the computer and made the movie. Pretty easy.

I'll keep in mind getting some shots of the sliced meat next time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Morgan:
[qb] Hey Guys, maybe Chris will make a video section so all the newbies can learn how to smoke different meats in real time. I think that would be great. What about it Chris? Happy New Year everyone. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sounds like a good idea to me!! I'd particularly like to see some of you "masters" doing your stuff!

Even with the great instructions, I still made mistakes in the beginning that may have been helped with a video.

Let me know if you guys want a video of something in particular and I can make one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daniel Israel:
[qb] <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Morgan:
[qb] Hey Guys, maybe Chris will make a video section so all the newbies can learn how to smoke different meats in real time. I think that would be great. What about it Chris? Happy New Year everyone. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sounds like a good idea to me!! I'd particularly like to see some of you "masters" doing your stuff!

Even with the great instructions, I still made mistakes in the beginning that may have been helped with a video.

Let me know if you guys want a video of something in particular and I can make one. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd like to see one on a brisket and a salmon!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Well thanks for the props and the requests guys! So far we have:

Brisket
Salmon
Butts
Ribs

The only one of those I've done before is a brisket (remember, I've only had the smoker about 4 months!) so I will have to test it out first. I plan to do butts anyway. I'll plan a smoke in the next month or so and film it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back