Very very old Weber - my newest addition!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

b mauro

TVWBB Member
Guys - I'm really floored with what I found. I had a friend pick up what I thought was an old "Redhead" which I thought was just a regular OTS.

What I got was a pristine - new in box - never opened Bar B Kettle. The box looks old - but still in great condition. The staples were all still intact - and I did my best to open the box without damaging anything.

I knew this guy was old when I couldn't find a model date on the top dampener. The nice two-tone brown color also gave me an indication that this came from the 70's. There's a cooking booklet that came with it - it has a $0.50 in the top right and the copyright is 1974.

Is there anyway to find out more on when this was actually made? I put everything back in the box since I didn't want to do anything I regretted later.

I'll post some pictures tonight - but this grill seriously looks like I went down to Sears and just bought it. Any info that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

You gotta get some pictures of that! I'm very interested to see the cooking booklet especially.

Here are just a few pics I took earlier - I didn't assemble it yet - just wanted to get a couple pics.

So my question is - and this could be a fairly stupid question - is this something that I should assemble and use.....or is something like this in this condition worth more kept in mint condition?

Those pictures made me puke! Unbelievable, it has to be like opening a time capsul. I wouldn't put it together just yet. I would bet a collector might want it. As much as I would like to see it assembled you should leave it alone. Your my hero today. Keep the pics comin'.

That's beautiful. A collector might want it, for sure, but you might also write Weber a letter about it. They'll at least be able to give you some info about it. Who knows, they might even buy it from you!

I struggle with the same question about my red SJP - it's mint. I've had it for a year and haven't cooked on it. So, it's taking up space in the garage and I have to dust it off occasionally, but I sure do like looking at it. It's not like I don't have other, less aged Webers to cook on!

VERY nice grill. I really like that color and would love to add one (preferably a used one so I don't fret over cooking on it) to my collection.

Pat

c'mon, slap that baby together, i'll bring the Porterhouse steaks and we'll fire'er up tonight!!
She's like a 25 year old bottle of Demerara Rum beggin' to be opened and drunk
icon_biggrin.gif

i'll even bring the rum!

I'd bet Weber would trade you a 26" one touch or maybe even a ranch model for that beauty.

As much as I'd like to own a Picasso if I found it in the attic, if selling it would pay for my kids' colleges and my retirement I'd do it in a heartbeat. You bought it to cook on, and if Weber will give you a better, newer model why not trade?

Originally posted by b mauro:
Guys - I'm really floored with what I found. I had a friend pick up what I thought was an old "Redhead" which I thought was just a regular OTS.

What I got was a pristine - new in box - never opened Bar B Kettle. The box looks old - but still in great condition. The staples were all still intact - and I did my best to open the box without damaging anything.

I knew this guy was old when I couldn't find a model date on the top dampener. The nice two-tone brown color also gave me an indication that this came from the 70's. There's a cooking booklet that came with it - it has a $0.50 in the top right and the copyright is 1974.

Is there anyway to find out more on when this was actually made? I put everything back in the box since I didn't want to do anything I regretted later.

I'll post some pictures tonight - but this grill seriously looks like I went down to Sears and just bought it. Any info that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

has Pittsburgh gotten over being dumped by my Habs yet?

;-)

Absolutely Awesome! Congratulations.

This needs to be offered to Weber first, who may trade you something new for it (Performer, 26.75, 22.5 WSM, Ranch, etc) if you agree. They don't buy items, trade only.

Or, it needs to be put on eBay, and sold to the highest bidder. There are collectors in Europe, one of whom paid $1000 US for a Ranger (kettle on a wheelbarrow-like frame).

I'll be bidding. I love having old stuff, and it is worth more to me unassembled and in the original box. I would love to have an auburn brunette NIB!

Guys - thanks for all the comments and I agree that I just don't feel right actually grilling on this guy!!! It's lasted in mint condition for at least 35 years - no need for me to change that!

So my question is - how common is it for Weber to offer a "trade"? Do they have some sort of museum (which if they did - I would LOVE to see it)?

Thanks Tim - I just sent Weber an email seeing if they could provide more information on my grill AND if they would be interested in it since it will just stay in the box if I keep it.

I'll keep everyone up to date - thanks again!

I have a old blue weber new in the box, contacted Weber and they didn't care anything about it. I would have loved to trade for a 26 inch. good luck

HPIM1957.jpg

HPIM1959.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back