Very very important !

Pete Hannan

Ok ! I`m new here, but I`m hot enough to realise that the best smoke men on the planet are all in one place............ right here !

Here`s the plan !

I`m away in the morning, while all you guys are asleep.
(That`s because of the time difference, not because you guys sleep too much!)

I`m away, because I opened my mouth too wide, and pledged to catch a wild Atlantic salmon for my daughter`s first birthday, which is next Saturday.
Now, on an average day I`ll catch a salmon as quick as the next guy, (I`ve caught hundreds), but that`s weather and everything else permitting.

This time I`m under prtessure to catch it, and more importantly, I`ve never cooked one over charcoal before. (Avg weight 12 lbs)

While I`m away, can you guys come up with some suggestions as to how I can do my daughter proud with the cooking, and whoever hits me with the best suggestion, has a keg (72 pints) of Guinness on me !
This is not a prank !
Home on Sunday. catch you then !

Pete

Me I would filet the salmon thin. Wrap it around a seafood stuffing drizzle it with lemon and dill mixed with melted butter and grill it indirect with your choice of mild wood. Happy birthday to your daughter. The only thing I don't understand is who did you pledge this too? If this is your daughters 1st birthday she wouldn't understand and is way to young to eat salmon I would think. Anyways good luck.

This is what I do when I cook Salmon. Put some Pepper, salt, garlic powder and some brown sugar on the filet. Smoke the filet at 250 for 2 hours or until the fish is flakey. About 1 1/2 hours into the cook mop with some butter and honey. Mop one more time 15 minutes later and than it should be done.

Personally I would make a marinade with a soya sauce and ginger base, filet the salmon, soak it in the marinade for about an hour. I would cut it into 4 pieces. Skin side down over med - high heat for a few minutes, then flip er for the same. I'd leave it about med in the middle at most....Just my $.02

Clark

I would filet each side, then soak in the rum of your choice. Remove from the rum, pat dry and sprinkle on some brown sugar and smoke till done!!! Yummy!!!
icon_cool.gif

Pete, you are a lucky man. Your daughter's 1st b-day and fresh caught salmon!
I'm sure your daughter will be proud of whatever Dad puts down in front of her. That being said, here's my thoughts...
You mention charcoal, so I say grill it. Brush both sides lightly with olive oil to prevent sticking and make sure the grate is hot. Skin left on the fillet; crisp it up. Turn it once and mind it so you do not over cook the fish. Sprinkle a little bit of fresh thyme and sea salt over the fish after flipping. Some of the natural combinations with salmon are; (unsalted) butter, chives, heavy cream, garlic and lemon. With the latter ingredients I'd whip up a sauce to drizzle over the salmon once off the grill. Saute the garlic in butter till translucent then add cream and fresh lemon juice. Salt to taste. If you want, add a little Dijon mustard to emulsify the sauce. Taste as you go. If it's on the thick side, a splash of white wine can thin it out. Sprinkle a few chopped chives over the completed dish. Serve with lentils or potatoes and a nice mixed salad. Finish off with a fantastic cake for the b-day girl. You've got fantastic fresh salmon; I recommend to keep it simple to appreciate the fish. Don't be heavy handed with the sauce.

Cheers,

Paul

If you got whole fish, then I say keep them whole. Fish on the bone is a little more forgiving to grill, slightly easier to handle (flip), and results in better flavor. The added benefit is that you retain the smaller muscles (like the cheek) that would get discarded when you fillet. I haven't done whole salmon, but I have done other fish whole on the grill. After cooking you can kind of scoop out the fillet on the up side, pull the tail to remove the spine and reveal the fillet on the down side.

For the recipe: I suggest stuffing the body cavity with sliced lemon and dill. If the salmon have some girth, you may want to make a few slits in the flesh (at roughly, single portion sized intervals) to help you serve. Put lemon slices and dill in these slits. Give the fish some time over direct heat on both sides, then try to get it off the heat for some time indirect until cooked through. Do your best to remove the fish from the grill intact. It might help to lay it on foil during the final cook to help you later when you need to move it off the grill.

I cook alot of Salmon. If you have a grill, bank the coals on one side, put the salmon on a sheet of foil in two long filets, skin side down. Put a good ,sweet, rub that has alot of brown sugar in it, all over both sides of the filets and put it on the cool side of the grill with some apple, maple, or alder chunks/chips and close the lid. cook about 60-90 minutes until firm or, until it reaches the done-ness you want. If you are doing it in a WSM, just follow standard smoking procedure for 60-90 minutes. Simple salmon is the best! I get TONS of compliments on the salmon. It is a little disconcerting!!! I use Texas BBQ Rub and it works GREAT for this>

Pete,

the brown sugar rub recipe that chris posted under cooking topics is about the best I've ever had. I've made it a number of times for family and guests and it gets rave reviews.

Plank it! Set up grill with an indirect zone, but you cook over both direct and indirect heat. Medium to medium high heat fire. Filet the salmon, and lay out on a plank that is lightly oiled (I prefer and alder plank). Use salt and pepper, slather lightly with a grainy mustard and a good dusting of brown sugar (do this at the last second). Start the cook directly over the coal with the lid on to get the magic of smoke happening underneath. Once smoke is established move to indirect (lid on) and cook to 135ish, moist and flakey. Good stuff.

Gary

i did a whole salmon a couple years ago on my large offset on a trailor i use to bbq once a year at work with. i would suggest season how you want. but be sure to be careful not to set the fish directly on the grats as it can stick and make a mess of your catch. i used foil to set it on and poked a few drain holes in the sheet.

it came out really well. smoked it for about 2 or 3 hours. i dont remember the exact time.

did a whole salmon a couple years ago on my large offset on a trailor i use to bbq once a year at work with. i would suggest season how you want. but be sure to be careful not to set the fish directly on the grats as it can stick and make a mess of your catch. i used foil to set it on and poked a few drain holes in the sheet.

Instead of foil, I had a good time using large banana leaves for a whole snapper I did when visiting Florida. Not sure if you have banana trees in Ireland (I did hear you have palms though).

Take heed of Jon and my words. Fish is a fragile beast when cooked, even if left whole.

Well there`s good news, and bad news !
The elusive Spring Atlantic Salmon was not to be had, but we did fish hard, and had fun trying ! That`s the bad news !
The good news is, that when I arrived home, my new Gold, and WSM had arrived. There was also a kettle lighter and lots of other little bits and pieces !
So I`ve decided to do what we do best, and that`s cookin` large chunks of prime Irish meat...........that is until I get a wild Irish salmon on the bank. Then I`m following what you guys have suggested.
Thank you all soo much for your suggestions, it`s much appreciated.

Pete.

Originally posted by Robert Oleksak:
Me I would filet the salmon thin. Wrap it around a seafood stuffing drizzle it with lemon and dill mixed with melted butter and grill it indirect with your choice of mild wood. Happy birthday to your daughter. The only thing I don't understand is who did you pledge this too? If this is your daughters 1st birthday she wouldn't understand and is way to young to eat salmon I would think. Anyways good luck.

Hi Robert !
I made this loose pledge around the dinner table to a group of my friends.
We were talking about the opening of the season, and I said I would have my first fish caught fot April 10th. Will have to learn to keep my mouth shut in future ! lol.

Originally posted by Paul K:
Pete, you are a lucky man. Your daughter's 1st b-day and fresh caught salmon!
I'm sure your daughter will be proud of whatever Dad puts down in front of her. That being said, here's my thoughts...
You mention charcoal, so I say grill it. Brush both sides lightly with olive oil to prevent sticking and make sure the grate is hot. Skin left on the fillet; crisp it up. Turn it once and mind it so you do not over cook the fish. Sprinkle a little bit of fresh thyme and sea salt over the fish after flipping. Some of the natural combinations with salmon are; (unsalted) butter, chives, heavy cream, garlic and lemon. With the latter ingredients I'd whip up a sauce to drizzle over the salmon once off the grill. Saute the garlic in butter till translucent then add cream and fresh lemon juice. Salt to taste. If you want, add a little Dijon mustard to emulsify the sauce. Taste as you go. If it's on the thick side, a splash of white wine can thin it out. Sprinkle a few chopped chives over the completed dish. Serve with lentils or potatoes and a nice mixed salad. Finish off with a fantastic cake for the b-day girl. You've got fantastic fresh salmon; I recommend to keep it simple to appreciate the fish. Don't be heavy handed with the sauce.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul, thank you !

If I can post photos, I`ll get them up tomorrow.

Pete.

Originally posted by Dave Hutson:
I cook alot of Salmon. If you have a grill, bank the coals on one side, put the salmon on a sheet of foil in two long filets, skin side down. Put a good ,sweet, rub that has alot of brown sugar in it, all over both sides of the filets and put it on the cool side of the grill with some apple, maple, or alder chunks/chips and close the lid. cook about 60-90 minutes until firm or, until it reaches the done-ness you want. If you are doing it in a WSM, just follow standard smoking procedure for 60-90 minutes. Simple salmon is the best! I get TONS of compliments on the salmon. It is a little disconcerting!!! I use Texas BBQ Rub and it works GREAT for this>

Dave, thanks !

Sounds great !

Pete

Back