Very large pork shoulder.

D Schatte

TVWBB Member
Wife picked me up a pork shoulder, to the tune of about 21 lbs. The thing is huge. Need some advice, smoke it like a normal sized butt? Just alot longer or what.

Not concerned with pinpointing cook time, as this one is getting pulled, vac'd and frozen. Just wondering what I've gotten myself into...Dennis

Sam's Club sells two butts in a package, but through the wrap, it looks like one.

Either that, or you just bought a piece of Hogzilla.
icon_eek.gif

I thought I bought a 16 pounder the other weekend from Costco but it turned out to be one 9 pounder and one almost 8 pounder in the same package...maybe cut that baby open and see what's inside to make sure?

Well I get them up to 18lbs or so and just go low and slow for as long as it takes. It's a great way to spend the weekend. If your getting tired of watching it after 25 hours or so you can always throw it in the oven.

A whole shoulder consists of both the butt and the picnic shank together and can easily run that size. I used to get them like that all the time several years ago but now that's becoming rare. You've gotten yourself into some mighty fine eating.
icon_smile.gif
And yes, smoke it like you would a smaller butt. Just allow for more time - figure around 18 hours

Took a closer look...the package is titled "Pork Shoulder Arm Max Pack". I haven't cracked the cryo yet,...but 99% certain its is one piece. Wife bought it at Alberstons. I'll post some picks later. Thanks guys. Dennis

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Sanders:
Bob,

I reckon those hogs have to be that big up there, to survive the winters.
icon_razz.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We grow everything bigger up hear in The Great White North. Heck just the other day my neighbours dog was carried away by a mosquito.

I work for a pork packing house. I bought a rough cut upper and lower shoulder( picnic and butt). It weighed in at 23.5 pounds. It took about 16 hours but was great.

Althought I usually don't. I thought about trimming off the fat wrap just to save some cooking time. Any thoughts?

I bought a huge butt once at Loblaw's, our big chain up here. Great price, but huge. I just asked the butcher to run a saw through it. He was happy to oblige. If nothing else, I wanted to increase the surface for bark.

Back