Vertical LP Smoker?

Matt_G

TVWBB Fan
I'm shopping for a gas smoker and I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with the vertical LP cabinet-style smokers. At a glance, the several models I've seem look similar.

Can anyone here offer any experience and advice on which one might be a good performer?

I've considered the mini-V gas burner mod to the WSM, but since the gas cabinet smokers are only around $200, I figure I might as well just buy one of those instead.

p.s.
I'll still be using my WSM, which I love. I don't wish to start any debate on gas vs. charcoal.

I have seen the Grand Hall "cabinet smoker" that comes as a part of a complete outdoor kitchen at Costco...also sold separately.

Without entering into a debate between gas/charcoal, I have heard from those who have tried smoking with gas that the smoke contains water vapor (as a result of the combustion of the gas) which doesn't fully flavor the assorted foodstuffs.

Take that for what it's worth.

Whether this outweighs the convenience of being able to cook truly epic amounts of food and also to regulate temperatures, start with no effort, etc. is up to you.

Lastly, that Costco gas smoker is the cheapest I have ever seen, and that costs $299 as a standalone. (The whole outdoor kitchen -- including some pretty fake-looking artificial brickwork -- runs +/-$3K.)

Williams-Sonoma's "Smokin' Tex" smoker clocked in at nearly $500!

There is the "Browning Smoke Vault" for $299 at BassPro. I almost got that unit instead of the WSM, it looked good and got pretty good reviews.

Another one that is pretty good is the GOSM (Great Outdoor Smokey Mountain). They have a 16" wide, a 20" wide and the one they call the Big Block. I have the 20" and like it very much. If you can get one grab it because they are hard to find now. Kmart was carrying them and I got mine there for $159 with free shipping to a store if you get it online at Kmarts website.

I guess they are going out of buisness and are selling them pretty quick now. I know quite a few people who have one and they all like theirs.

HTH.
Enjoy the day.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check them out.

I had been looking at an LP smoker at Lowes for under $200, but I'm a bit skeptical about the quality/performance.

Simple facts of my situation are that I want to cook in a spot where charcoal fire is not permitted

Back