Vent Openings At Higher Temps

Brian Curtis

TVWBB Member
I'm still fooling with vent openings while cooking BBQ Chicken at 325F. with my Nano. I assumed with my clay saucer covered water pan on my 22.5" WSM with the 10cfm fan and Nano set wide open (475F.) it would be able to reach 325F. with my other two bottom vents closed. The grate temp seemed to steady at 260F. and so I opened the two other bottom vents full open to get to my temp. Is this normal, and once I got to 325F. I closed the other two bottom vents, top always full open, and the controller would not hold temp, had to open one of the other bottom vents.

Is this normal, at 250F. grate temp or below this setup will maintain temps. with all bottom vents closed and the top open. I haven't heard of anyone using a 25cfm fan on a 22.5 WSM, the temp controller dealers do not seem to recommend it.

22.5 WSM
Nano

I can tell you that with a 6.7CFM fan maxing out at 11V, I can maintain 400F without the fan running constantly in my large big green egg. I think the egg has less volume than a WSM 22.5 and better heat retention, but I know to get past ~500F I have to start opening the bottom vents too.

This is with a HeaterMeter though, not a Nano.

With a HH cook that may take 4-5 hrs, why do you need or want an ATC? My cookers work just fine without.
icon_confused.gif

I think the answer to that is "Set It and Forget It". Light the grill and turn on the controller, go prep your food, put it on the grill, come back when it is done. Even if the temp stays close without it, I'd still go check on it every 30 minutes or so to make sure it isn't dying/incinerating the food. Why wouldn't someone use an ATC?

Bryan, I see your point. For me I like to be with my cookers as I cook. Ya I can go to the bath room or get a fresh beverage but I really enjoy just bein' with the Q. Besides those things cost money.

Mark

I hear ya. I'm usually doing something else while I have stuff on the grill. Your idea sounds a lot more relaxing, I suppose I'll have to invite some friends over and give that a try with a fresh cooler of beverages.

Thanks for the reply's, good point about forgetting the WSM as chicken will tolerate a lot of heat, but with shorts cooks I like to keep an eye on things, even though it's not critical to maintain steady temps, unless they get out of control.

Your right Bryan, the Big Green Egg insulation would make it easier and quicker to get to high temps, versus the uninsulated WSM.

Like anything else it will take a little time to figure out what an automatic temp control is capable of doing.

Back