vent damper question

John Carlson

TVWBB Member
Has anyone had problems with the tabs on the bottom vent dampers on the 22.5 not allowing it to close all the way. It doesn't hit the charcoal grate but there is a gap when the tab hits the edge of the hole. I also notice a small gap between the bowl and damper on all 3. Thanks for any insight.

John, I haven't but, I did install xtra vents in my 18.5 WSM. The holes I cut were not exactly right on one of the vents. Same situation as you describe. I fixed the problem with a smaller round file like one you would use to sharpen a chain saw. As long as you file on the closed side of the vent the extra room in the hole that you have created will be covered up by the solid part of the vent itself.

Hope that makes sense.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I also notice my dampers don't follow the contour of the charcoal bowl exactly so there is alway space where if I shine a flashlight, I can see it inside. Any thoughts on that? I know they aren't meant to be 100% airtight so that may be normal.

They aren't designed to be air tight HOWEVER with all vents closed the coals should go out in a reasonable time. Vents are hard to bend while on the cooker. I really wish that they would design them with removable screw mounts as the replacements are. If after use the coals fail to go out in a few hrs I would talk to customer service and they may have a suggestion or they may decide to replace the part. Good folks at Weber CS.

John - the aluminum vent covers are very malleable. If you have a rubber mallet, you may be able to flip your charcoal bowl upside down on a table and gently form the vents better to the shape of the bowl by tapping the covers gently with the mallet.

Pat

Thanks for all the help. holding temps for cooking seems to be easy enough but when I shut it down, the coals stay lit until they burn themselves out.

Back