vent control - how u do it

Jim Smithson

TVWBB Fan
I am curious after reading some play by plays on here.

How does everyone adjust their bottom vents? I have always tried to make them all equal. However, I read some here that might have 1 vent 100% and others closed! I wonder if that would cause uneven burning of the charcoal?

Also, what tool do u use to adjust the vents once they are so hot? I actually have a paint stick that I wrote BBQ on..sometimes I can stir the coals with it also.

I start (usually Minnon Method) with all bottom vents completely open. As the temp starts to climb, I completely close one vent, then I close the next vent, then I close the third vent about half way.

If the vents are hot, I use a rag or a glove.

I start with all vents open, but I quickly end up with one vent open about 25% to hold at 225º to 250º. The charcoal does burn unevenly so if I have a longer cook and the temp starts to drop, I open up one of the other vents a little. I guess I figure this draws the fire to some of the unburnt charcoal. On short (rib) cooks, it's not a issue.

Tool for closing the hot vents - foot w/ shoe.
icon_smile.gif

I usually keep mine about even unless there is wind blowing. If there is wind I close the one into the wind first and adjust the others accordingly. When doing this I find the charcoal isn't burning evenly inside but it will all burn eventually.

Back