Venison ribs?

David Stanton

TVWBB Member
I have four racks of venison ribs on ice from Saturday's hunt, and was hoping someone could give me some pointers on smoking them. I know to remove what little fat there is on them, but will they dry up in the WSM with zero fat to baste them? Will they ever get tender like a pork rib? Suggestions on cooking time? Should I just give up on the WSM and braise them in the oven?

Thanks,
David

I cook a lot of venison, but have never tried to smoke the ribs. If it were me, I wouldn't waste the effort on the WSM. If braising has worked for you, do that. They have practically no fat, and not much meat.

Paul

Any ribs I seen done was in turkey roaster layered in BBQ sauce long and slow. We had a fellow who would butcher deer in his barn for us and the on the day of the army/navy football game we go to his house and enjoy the fruits of our hunt. Thats the only way I have seen them done. Might give them some time on the smoker and finish in the a roasting pan.

I would boil the ribs first let them rest in the water for a while. Then fire up the grill and sear them with BBQ sauce. I do the same for my Beef ribs they just dont dry up much when done this way.

I've wasted alot of time trying to make venison ribs edible and just haven't ever had them come out even close to being good. So I stick with beef and pork ribs for now on!
icon_biggrin.gif

Venison ribs are one of those foods that you either like or strongly dislike. I've smoked them on the WSM a few times... and enjoyed the results. Here's what I did:
First, scrape off every speck of fat you can find.Yes they will add moisture but I almost gaurantee you will not like the sticky sour residue they leave in your mouth.
Second, give them a light dusting of rub. Not too much as these ribs don't have a lot of meat.
Third, throw them on the smoker. Venison is a bold meat so it can take some bold smoke such as hickory. You won't be smoking them long - maybe a hour at 250-275.
After that, wrap them in foil and continue cooking them for another hour or two, either in the WSM or the oven. You can add a bit of liquid if you like.
An optional last step is to sauce them and grill them directly over the coals. This is my usual practice.

Rob,

Thanks for the help. Actually, I haven't cooked them yet. I think I'll try your method, though, and report back. I agree on the deer fat -- nasty taste and texture, though not quite as bitter early in the season here, before the acorns drop (tannic acid) and the deer are still feeding heavily on field crops.

Thanks,
David

I have not tried doing V-ribs on the smoker but they turn out great using a pressure cooker. Rub them and then put a can of beer in the bottom of the pressure cooker, insert the cooker rack, then add the ribs. I like to add some pork fat (either a rack of spares or some fatty country style ribs) for flavor on top of the V-ribs. Cook at 15# for 15 minutes. Then finish on Weber kettle to brown & sauce. I think my brother browns them on the kettle first and then returns them to the grill for sauce after but I don't see the point since mine always turn out great. This method is a quick way to get great tasting V-ribs.

I tried and failed they were so tough and were very gammie. I think I will try again next year. With a little help from you guys I think I may have a better idea to approach this.

Back