Venison Heart & Liver -- Need Recipe

I usually just cut up the heart and fry it with green peepers and onions. For the liver I always just do the classic breaded fried liver with onions and bacon.
Some people like to bake a stuffed heart.
ken

Just getting back to this. I sliced the heart, trimming away the ligaments. Quick fry in oil in the cast iron. Surprisingly good. I didn't think I'd like it. Not chewy or gristly at all. It was like tender, incredibly flavorful ribeye.

With some other pics of my venison dinner from January 2013:

We never got around to eating the liver. That went out back for the coyotes.
8549772762_db94fc1b7d_z.jpg

8548672927_fc8a7f348c_z.jpg

Left side heart; right side tenderloin:
8549043370_31fc918df3_z.jpg

Searing backstrap:

8549048394_282004f528_z.jpg

Pan-cracked pepper sauce. I don't want to boast, but this was awesome. The venison is incredibly tender with amazing flavor:
8547955365_bed4d460f0_z.jpg

Top round and random pieces of leg (my fist try at butchering) for venison bourguignon. No pics of the final stew:
8549033564_0f23358832_z.jpg

Sauteeing with onions and mirepoix:
8547940783_b257045348_z.jpg

I haven't lit the Bullet in over 12 months. I'm itching to smoke something.

Nice pics, I know it's too late until next year.....I like the heart sliced and grilled. Liver cast iron with a little flour, salt, pepper and fried in bacon grease. We always did this at camp on every fresh kill until my buddies dad got Alzheimer's. He was funny, he would always run up when you were field dressing the deer and grab the heart and liver and kinda run away with them like a treasure LOL

Stoney,Hi. Most " sportsmen " are not able to figure out the offals.....but it is so nice when one helps with a drag and they give them all to you or tell you how far back they left them. Amazon used to have used copies of a fabulous cookbook titled " The LL Bean Game and Fish cookbook ". The recipe for Venison stew is extraordinary, and you should absolutely save the kidneys and use them here. The corned caribou/venison in prep for a New England Boiled dinner is unbelievable. The neck sectioned and included in the same brine can be wonderful for those pickers in the family ...the sandwiches are fine, fine. I braise the heart whole in a very spicy courte bullion and later 1/2 " slices with mayo for a very delicious and quiet sandwich on stand later. The Icelandic Gravlax, ( I soak for 48-72 hours ) and poached salmon are to die for. Very too bad about the liver !! venison is the finest liver to me. You could have frozen it and made the best pate' " EVER. 3/4" venison liver steaks salted and peppered in 1/2 olive oil and butter and pink inside with a golden crust ? well, with a hearty Rhone.....HEAVEN, and no need for onions etc.
I really gotta go to my freezer now. Good luck, and have an offal time ! Dave

Back