Veinison? Back loins 7 lbs?

G

I have had a weber bullet for 3 weeks and I LOVE it! The help I have received on this site has made my Boston Butt and Brisket the hit of the whole block! I have some veinison approx. 7 lbs and would like to know how long and what wood to use?
Thank you!
Medisyn

Fred:
I've smoked several venison roasts on my WSM. Usually use a combination of hickory and black cherry. Put your favorite rub on the roast the night before and refrigerate. Fire the smoker up to between 225 - 250 lay some strips of bacon or sliced salt pork on top of the roast and smoke for about 1 - 1.5 hours per pound or an internal temperature of 160 - 165. (Where are you in upstate NY?)

If you're cooking venision loins I recommend going with a higher temperature (350°+). There is very little fat in venison, especially loins so low and slow is not the way to go.

I did backstraps recently indirectly on my kettle, with a dome temp in the 350°-375° range. I cooked to an internal temp of about 130° and let rest 20 minutes before slicing. It was fantastic, better than filet mignon that I've had in restuarants. I used a rub similar to Prime Rib - Herb Crusted. I prefer placing the roast on double layer of bacon rather than putting bacon on top. This prevents the roast from cooking too quickly on the bottom (sort of like cooking brisket or butt fat side down to avoid drying) and allows a tasty bark to form on the outside of the roast.

Good Luck!

Mark

Back