Vegetables

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It's that time of year here in Arkansas... Road side farmers and vendors everywhere... I want to "smoke" some ears of corn... Do I wrap - unwrap - soak - not to soak - shuck - or not to shuck ??!!??
How about other vegetables - like squash, zucchini, etc... I'm waiting for Smoke and Spice book from Amazon, and I'm sure a lot of these are answered in there, but until I get it I would appreciate the help..
Thanks,
Gary

Most veggies are best grilled but you can do corn a little slower.

For corn, I like to strip them down with just enough shucks remaining to layer the corn a couple of times. Pull out the silk and mop with butter. Put the shucks back in place and tie off. Turn while cooking. Zucchini,
onions, Eggplant, Potatoes and Portabella mushrooms are what I usually grill and they
turn out great. Just put oil or Italian dressing on em and go. Italian always for portabellas. These are basic recipes but
you can be much more inventive with veggies.

For veggi dishes you can cook slower there is a good book "The Vegetarian Grill" by Andrea Chessman, if you are interested, that might give you a few ideas. Also, there are a few publications like vegetarian times etc... that have good articles/recipes during this time of year.

This method comes from Smoke It! by Paul Kirk:<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Cut off corn silk sticking out from the ear of corn.
<LI>Soak ears of corn in a bucket of water for at least 8 hours, longer if possible. Keep ears submerged using a heavy plate.
<LI>Cook in smoker for at least 2 hours.
[/list]

Chef Paul says it's hard to overcook this corn because of the wet husk. Shuck the corn and serve with plain or flavored butter, salt & pepper.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back