Vanity, Vanity, Thy Name is Barbecue

I grill veggies all the time. I also use evoo, pepper, garlic powder, but I add a sprinkle of Tony Cacherewhatever cajun rub(SP) for a zing instead of salt. Asparagus does very well this way.

How about some marinated and grilled portebellos? I'll bet she would like that. Or grilled eggplant is good too. You could marinate the shrooms in some red wine, garlic powder, salt, pepper, evoo. Or you could just brush the shrooms or eggplant with evoo, salt and pepper, and grill. Sometimes less is more!

Okay ... again ... details are not to be found at this point in time ... but if I go with my initial "planning" estimate of 11 adults (7 men/4 women) ... if I do smoke butt ahead of time, it seems like it makes sense to smoke two butts which will be PLENTY and freeze the leftovers.

On party day, I could smoke ... what ... 3 to 4 racks of baby backs ... along with chicken and veggies on the grill?

I need to nail down some of the dietary preferences as that will dictate what/how much chicken I grill ... but I'm thinking maybe one or two beer can chickens ... or make it even easier and just do breasts.

Does that sound reasonable or would I be cooking too much?

(Preview ... next I'll be asking about sauces.)

If they haven't seen a beercan chicken, you'll probably get a big "oooooohhh" from them. As for sauces, my wife likes them sweet also. She fell in love with the britu sauce: 5 parts KC original bbq sauce to 1 part honey. I thought it was a little too sweet, but I'm a rub man myself. 3 or 4 racks of baby backs doesn't seem like a lot. Especially, if they look good everyones going to want some. What about spares instead?

Scott ... yeah, beer can always generates some "oooooohhh"s ... that's why I thought it'd be fun.

Sauces ... the one I've used is the one you mentioned ... 5 parts KC ... 1 part honey. I wondered if some other sauces should be served since there will be pulled pork. I'm in the Land of Montgomery Inn and people like their sweet (SWEET!) sauces ... but I doubt they've tried anything different.

I would like to try spares, but my only WSM experience is with baby backs ... thus my reluctance. This will be my first butt ... my first "large" barbecue party ... I'm leary to try yet another first.

I do have some worries about combining several different meats. Will people gravitate to the ribs ... then the pulled pork ... and last the chicken? Doesn't matter much to me, but I'd like to give folks what they prefer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> would I be cooking too much?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It'a alot, more than you need, but it's not too much--especially if you want to wow them. And everything you're thinking of doing makes fine leftovers.

A note on that: Since you'll do a couple butts ahead of time they'll be chilled and you'll reheat what you need (I'd 1/2 of one if you're planning butts around 7 lbs each) so that'll be no big deal. What I try to do when I'm serving a lot of hot food but not using things to keep it hot (chafing dishes, crock pots, warmers) is to lay out the food hot
on hot platters (attractively piled and garnished, of course!), and then return the platters (covering first with foil) to a slow oven. It can be helpful to have one item heat-maintained--like PP in a crockpot. Then, for seconds, I get an idea of what will be needed by polling my guests and consolidate that food on to one platter (perhaps with a little more) and leave that on the table for the duration. Whatever is left in the kitchen I put on a sheet pan, let it sit on the counter while I take care of making sure my guests get the seconds they want, then stick it in the fridge, uncovered, to cool, wrapping it later. I find if I serve everything up front to a large group it is easy to get caught up in conversation, drinking, eating--two hours pass (or more) and there sits the uneaten food you'd figured for leftovers...
icon_eek.gif

Just a thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">sauces ... but I doubt they've tried anything different </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A vinegar sauce for the PP is a must--well, perhaps not a must for everyone, but good to offer. It works so well and I find often that people who like (or think they only like) sweet sauces will add a dash to their sweet sauce and mix them, and often like it better.

Going to J Jim's? Grab you some Morello or Montmorency cherries for a cherry sauce for that chicken!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
A vinegar sauce for the PP is a must--well, perhaps not a must for everyone, but good to offer. It works so well and I find often that people who like (or think they only like) sweet sauces will add a dash to their sweet sauce and mix them, and often like it better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll echo that sentiment. A good vinegar sauce cuts the sweet at worst, but is best just by itself. If you do the pork ahead, let some soak in the vinegar sauce in vacuum bags or zip-tops -- you'll get a great flavor!

2 butts, 2 chickens, 3 or 4 racks of BBs, veges, and sides for 11? Yeah I'd say thats a heck of alot. I'd even say 1 butt and chicken along with 4 racks and the rest will be more than enough.

I love a challenge and putting together a group feast. Heres an idea for a menu.
Do some pulled pork early. Create some BBQ nacho appetizers that they can build using chips, cheese and some of the pulled pork. I would also have some curdite' set out with ranch dressing.
For the main course I would have the rest of the Pulled pork, avaialble with some different sauces, buns and slaw. Then I would figure a half rack of BB ribs per meat eater. That would give them at least a sammich, slaw and half rack per person.

You could do that all on the WSM. Then I would use the kettle to indirect a turkey breast. You could might even do it like a honey baked ham type of smoked breast. The women seem to love those. When the ribs and turkey are basically done I would stir up the coals and grill up some veggies, using a veggie grill pan (for the women), that I had previously marinaded. At the same time you can grill a veggie burger that you would kick up a notch with rub and evoo.
You could also top of the whole gastinomical event with some Pineapple - Sugar Grilled just to show them your range prowess.
icon_smile.gif
Of course there would also be lots of beer and Ice Tea available!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dennis T.:
No, I didn't forget the vegetarian ... someone needs to clean up.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dennis -- I LOVE your style!

All this talk about vegetarian food reminds me of a lunch my wife and I had recently at a local Mediterranean restaurant. She ordered falafels and when they came, I commented that they were just "Mediterranean hush puppies". We both had a great laugh as did the owner of the restaurant - so the next time you see falafels on a menu, think "Mediterranean hush puppies". Ha!

Ray

Ray ... so if a falafel is a "Mediterranean hush puppy" does that make a hush puppy a "Southern falafel"?

Bill ... I know 2 butts is too much, but I thought if I was firing up the smoker to smoke a butt and since I'll probably get the butt at Sam's (2 to a pack) ... it made sense to smoke both butts realizing that the majority of it would be for leftovers. If I can find just one butt, I'll do just one.

Brandon ... thanks for the ideas. The way you laid it out is how I was thinking of proceding. I like the appetizer idea ... and I had actually thought of the pineapple! I have never grilled pineapple, but it looks great. Usually at these events we make homemade ice cream so that would make a great combo.

Kevin and Jimbo ... I'll look for some vinegar sauce. Not sure if the neighborhood grocer will have any ... Jungle Jim's is good, but it's a fair distance away ... could go there if need be.

Thanks to everyone for your great ideas and support. All of you help me have the confidence that I can actually pull this off ... thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dennis T.:
Kevin and Jimbo ... I'll look for some vinegar sauce. Not sure if the neighborhood grocer will have any ... Jungle Jim's is good, but it's a fair distance away ... could go there if need be.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dennis,

As with BBQ, if you can, make your own. Search the board here -- there are numerous vinegar recipes. If you have "Smoke and Spice" there is a good one in there. I use the following, found through this board but I can't seem to find the post to give the credit:

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp kosher salt

Makes enough for 12 - 14 lbs of pulled pork. If you want it less hot, lower the red pepper count. Less vinegary, substitute water for some of the white vinegar (or all of it).

The pork is best when mixed with this sauce and allowed at least 24 hours to soak it in.

There is a recipe in Smoke and Spice that is very similar to this one, so I'm assuming they are all borrowing from each other.

I make a similar sauce with rice instead of distilled, and add a little honey to the sugar, a splash of Worstershire, some mustard, and some melted butter or oil for mouthfeel and to help carry flavors. Whatever your choice, you can make it well in advance to get it out of the way.

Grilled pineapple is great. I use it is salsas often. And very good as sugar- or honey-grilled with grilled strawberries on homemade vanilla ice cream atop griiled pound cake with a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar over all.

Back