Vacuum sealer help

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Ive been thinking about buying food saver for a while, but left over Q seems to disapear pretty quick (2 or 3 days). I see a lot of members here use them, so I have a couple of questions. How long can meat last sealed & frozen? Is it cost effective for small portions? I have never seen one in action, but am temped to get one.

If you can buy one get it! Ive never had any Q in the freezer long enough to answer but i believe at least 6 months? Also very easy to use!
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil R.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tmfast:
Ive been thinking about buying food saver for a while, but left over Q seems to disapear pretty quick (2 or 3 days). I see a lot of members here use them, so I have a couple of questions. How long can meat last sealed & frozen? Is it cost effective for small portions? I have never seen one in action, but am temped to get one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We use our Food Saver for a tremendous number of items from BBQ butts to dog food. I think it's very cost effective when I consider the amount of meat that we purchased that developed ice crystals and lost its freshness before we used it. We purhase meat, especially ground beef, when it's on sale and vacumn seal it. I highly recommend a Food Saver type vacumn sealer for anyone that cooks quite a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should be able to keep vac-packed food in a deep freezer for at least a year.

There is only 2 of us so we vac-pack a lot of smaller bags. That way we don't defrost mare than we need. EX: Pork butt... Vac enough for 3 or 4 sammies instead of the whole butt.

Yes the Food Saver is the way to go. Mine also included the Mason Jar sealer attachments and some canisters. Haven't used the canisters yet, but would be a great way to store extra dry rub.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
And where can I get the best price on a food saver????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To find product cost comparisons, go to Google, Products and search for "Foodsaver Vacuum".

From that search I see QVC has a basic, entry level system for $ 82.00. You can pay up to nearly $ 300.00 for top of the line systems.

QVC $ 82 Foodsaver
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/main.detail.tpl.DETA...TRICS&cm_ite=K118609

Yes, buy one. The only problem I have encountered is with ribs in that a couple of times a sharp part of the bone has pierced the bag – didn’t know until I saw it in the freezer sometime later. Other than that it can be a real $ saver. I buy steaks (including a whole beef tenderloin) at Costco and vacu-seal them and they last at least 6 months. It is difficult to find a deal on the unit or bags. Their web site does sell reconditioned units or ones no longer being made. The best deal I have found is using the 20% off coupons I get in the mail from Bedbathandbeyond.

I bought mine at Kohls. Also seen them at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. Try e-bay if all else fails. I got the food sealer, 6 pre-cut storage bags, a roll of bags, three canisters, a jar sealer, and video for $99.

I use mine all the time. Like some others, there is only two of us, so when I smoke 3 butts(I can't bring myself to just smoke 1) , there are plenty of leftovers. The foodsavers work great for everything from BBQ to steaks and chicken bought in bulk from the butcher. Some food last longer than others but you can easily get 6 - 8 months in the freezer without any issue. Someone already mentioned, pay attention with the ribs though...they will poke a hole in the bag if your not careful.
Kohls has them on sale occasionally as does Cabela's.

it can literally pay for its self. for instance, Shop Rite by me had Butts at .69/lbs about a year ago, they were trimmed and tied up ready to go. The usual price is $1.69 on sale and $1.99 regular. I picked up 14 of them (picked up the phone and asked for them, the butcher though I had my own restaurant). They were all no less than 7lbs. So I saved about $7 on each, total $98.

If you cushion the ends of ribs with crumpled waxed paper, plastic wrap, paper towel, or lightweight foil, you'll avoid the problem of them piercing the FoodSaver bag.

Rita

I did a lot of internet research on food savers.
I ended up buying a "pump n save" model, with some extra tops, and shipping for under $40. It had rave reviews from the testers. The big difference in this model is that you can use any type of food bag, and are not limited to the high priced ones sold by the manufacturers.

I have a Food saver and use it a lot. I am not as crazy about it as some who posted. I have a lot of trouble getting a good seal. Plus the problem is erratic. I guess I'm not holding my mouth right!! Sometimes it seals and shuts off before the vacuum is complete. Sometimes it looks godd but hte next day the seal is gone. It is a love-hate relationship.

I use the bags alot and I always double seal them. I heard of someone haviing a major leak whil reheating in boiling water, so I don't take a chance.

You are not supposed to use them in boiling water. At most, simmering hot water is what my FoodSaver instructions said. That's probably what caused the blowout!

If there is any grease or moisture where the bag is to be sealed, it might not "take." Also, I've had an occasional pinhole in the bag, especially when re-using a bag that could be the culprit.

I've had success with bags that don't hold a vacuum by filling them with water and holding it up so see where it starts dripping. Then I dry everything well and stick a piece of masking or electrical tape over the hole (on the outside). It then usually holds a vacuum.

Pat, could your sealing strip (the one with with wire in it) be wearing unevenly? If you are getting an uneven seal, you might try replacing the strip. I don't know if FoodSaver would require you to send the unit in or not. It would be worth a phone call to them if you're having problems.

Rita

I find that making a cuff in the mouth of the bag when filling it protects "sealing area" of the bag from food/moisture/oil.

Back