Vacuum Sealed BBQ

Deb L.

TVWBB Member
I see that some of you use vacuum seal bags to put your bbq in and reheat it later in hot water. I have never had a vacuum sealer and was wondering are you guys happy with what you have? Do the bags give off ANY plastic taste? Is it really worth it? Which brand do you have, and such? Sometimes I think I have way too many kitchen gadgets, so don't want to buy another dust collector...

Yes. No. And yes. Tilia FoodSaver. No BBQer should be without one, even if it's a bag-only model. Although the ones that seal jars and cannisters, too, are great for preserving a myriad of things in wide-mouth Mason jars.

Debra, One of the best investments i have made. Def not a dust collector. I have the Foodsaver 1080 that i bought at BJ'S with a nice roll storage bag cuter gizmo, bags galore and some storage containers also came with the package deal for $139.00. I destroyed my first one but that was my own fault. When you get liquid inside of the vacuum pump they no longer work that well / at all. My wife uses one of the big storage canisters for head lettuce and it seems to last forever about 3 weeks. Great for buying meat in bulk and then having the long term freezer option is great. I'm a Home Brewer also so i use it to vac pack and store my Whole Leaf Hops in for long term freezer storage. Love Mine.

Great tool. The Bride delights in reminding me about our "discussions" when she brought home one more piece of junk to stay in the way. I'm still eating crow out of a foodsaver bag.

Debra-- Useful for lots of other stuff too. I buy coffees in 5 lb bags (less than $8/lb that way) and it's roasted to order and shipped that day. Dividing it up and freezing till I need it keeps it really fresh. I use lots of fresh ginger (which doesn't keep real well); using a larger bag than I need I can vac it, freeze it, trim the end off the bag when needed, grate the still-frozen ginger, return it to the same bag and reseal. I freeze habs, cherry peppers, etc., and do the same thing. And great for storing dry stuff you might not use often but don't want to freeze--nuts, dried fruits, exotic rices, etc.

When I think of the literally thousands of dollars in spoiled or questionable food I've pitched over the years I kick myself for not getting one a long time ago.

Mine's a Tilia. 1050 I think? It has the manual vac option.

One more vote.

I got one earlier this year - used some christmas gift cards towards one. Boil in bag reheating is great. Also sealed up some old documents and books for storage.

Here's another alternative: Sinbo sealer
I have this one. It's not quite as fancy as the FoodSaver, but it uses a much less expensive type of bag. Mine has probably paid for itself in what I've saved on buying bags. Either way, you'll find dozens of uses for a vacuum sealer, but even if you never do anything except seal meat for freezing, I think you'll be very pleased with the purchase.

These can be found on Ebay at a bargain price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

NOTE: I don't know anything about the person advertising these - so caveat emptor.

Back