Vac sealer "Bags/Rolls" ???

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
Have a Food Saver (550), I got as a gift.

Came with some preformed bags, as well as a roll to make your own bags.

I haven't bought any bags/roll etc. I assume the preformed bags are more expensive, (per bag), than the roll.

2 Questions: Any thoughts, on which is better for what or why as well as cost difference?

Where and what brands are the cheapest to buy, yet still work well ??

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Aloha John... I prefer to buy the rolls. One can cut the material to fit whatever one is freezing; slab of ribs, whole fish or anything bulky. I always cut the bags a bit longer and been successful in using it again. Just a cheapskate!

joe

Aloha Joe

I'm a cheapskate as well. That's why I'm asking the question. Rather spend my money thinks to smoke in the WSM.

Happy Smoking !!!!

John -
I always use the rolls also, and just recently bought some from Kohl's. Got three rolls, each 11" wide by 16ft long. Kohl's usually has them on sale (was 20% off when I purchased), total cost was $25.

Tom

Thanks

We have a kohls that just opened up, not far from where we live, will check it out also will probable check walmart as well ?

I was just at Kohls today. For three 11" rolls they are going for $25.00. For three 11" and two 8" rolls $32.00.

Rolls here also. Last time I bought one, it was from Cabela's as I was i the store. Their brand was cheaper than the Food Saver brand, and just as high quality.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G. (Canada Mike):
try http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/ Bowhunters for some good deals on rolls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've recommended these guys in the past for bulk bags and rolls. Still using my last order of mesh bags (Apple Trading Company). I always buy the mesh bags instead of the Tilia/FS Brand. Cheaper, work great. I reuse these bags too and never had a problem.

I've been to the store and they are great people to deal with as well! I buy both rolls and bags in all sizes. I have 15" wide vac sealer and even use that roll stock too.

They also ship quick and very competitively priced! Watch the over size shipping costs. They have that posted in error on some of the items/rolls. Haven't checked to see if it's corrected. Always good to call by phone.

Also when I look now I can find Tilia bags but not the bulk mesh style bags. I'll take another look and correct if I find them.

Update/Correction - they no longer sell the mesh bags. I'll be looking for another source or just do a group buy here or someplace else competitive:

Just one mesh bag source

Another mesh bag source

These bags work fine on Foodsaver as well as semi commercial external chamber vac sealers.

Bottom line the pre-cut bags in bulk are very handy when plowing through a lot of stuff. The roll stock is nice for one off or couple bags at a time or for the unusually sized items.

Or just take the roll and make up 50 bags or so and keep them stored until you need them.

Costco has combo pack for $45.00 right now. It contains 4-11"x16' rolls, 1-8"x20' roll, and 30-8"x11" bags. Tomorrow thru 5/9/2010 there is an $8 off coupon (limit 3).

Sam's Club currently has combo pack for just under $40 consisting of 3-11"x16' rolls, 1-8"x20' roll, and 20- 1 gal. bags.

F.Y.I.

Back