Using the rotisserie ring to expand cooking space questions.

Rick P

TVWBB Pro
I have a turkey, just a shade over 20lbs, which is pushing it for the Weber recommended weight with the rotisserie.
If the rotisserie is a no-go, the plan is to grill the bird.
It's probably too tall for the kettle, but it will fit if I use the rotisserie ring.
The plan is to seal the notches, with metal duct tape and grill.
Of course, I'd rather use the rotiesserie.

Any tips, or suggestions, from those of you who have used the rotisserie ring to expand cooking space?

I’m not sure I’d be too worried about venting through the roti holes, I’ve done that size bird with no need for the ring but, that’s entirely up to you. I have probably done a hundred birds in that 18-20 lb. range, they have always been a hit! Anymore, the group is smaller so, turkeys in the twelve pound range is more normal.

I have a turkey, just a shade over 20lbs, which is pushing it for the Weber recommended weight with the rotisserie.
If the rotisserie is a no-go, the plan is to grill the bird.
It's probably too tall for the kettle, but it will fit if I use the rotisserie ring.
The plan is to seal the notches, with metal duct tape and grill.
Of course, I'd rather use the rotiesserie.

Any tips, or suggestions, from those of you who have used the rotisserie ring to expand cooking space?
I'd try it without the ring. The way the kettle cooks is due to its unique shape, and the ring messes with that. Also, with the additional sheet metal radiating heat, you will use more charcoal and it's more difficult to add charcoal with a big bird and a hot ring in place. I wouldn't hesitate to use the ring if it is absolutely necessary to fit the bird, though, because it will work, just not as well.

If you'll balance the spit, the rotisserie will probably handle the big bird just fine. I did a 16lb turkey on the rotisserie, and the motor struggled, than I balanced it and it was smooth sailing.
I was in a hurry, so I used a vise grip and a weight from a different rotisserie, only had half an inch of clearance, but it worked 🙂

Attachments

• IMG-20211011-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20211011-WA0003.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 16
I’m not sure I’d be too worried about venting through the roti holes, I’ve done that size bird with no need for the ring but, that’s entirely up to you. I have probably done a hundred birds in that 18-20 lb. range, they have always been a hit! Anymore, the group is smaller so, turkeys in the twelve pound range is more normal.
I've done a ton of birds as well, but generally in the 12-16lb range. As you know, the height of the bird is a big factor. If I can get the lid closed, that's what I'm going to do. If I can't I'll spin the bird.

I'll probably change my mind at least a dozen times before I cook the damn thing :ROFLMAO:

I've done a ton of birds as well, but generally in the 12-16lb range. As you know, the height of the bird is a big factor. If I can get the lid closed, that's what I'm going to do. If I can't I'll spin the bird.

I'll probably change my mind at least a dozen times before I cook the damn thing :ROFLMAO:
Boy, I know that feeling!!
I’m fairly sure the 20 pounder will fit straight on the grill.
I’m sure you will have a good feast!

My 22lb turkey when on the grill touched the lid. 16lb was good.

I now remove the grate and add another lower one:
Charcoal baskets on the side on kettle.
Fire bricks on side, inside the CBs, an old rectangular grill grate spans the bricks.
Then the turkey roaster pan (aluminum disposable), this also shields the bird from direct heat.
Then another grill inside the turkey pan held up 1/2" - I had some spare aluminum square stock.
The raised grill inside the pan is to keep the turkey out of the drippings.

Boy, I know that feeling!!
I’m fairly sure the 20 pounder will fit straight on the grill.
I’m sure you will have a good feast!
:ROFLMAO:
I'm spinning a chicken tonight, so I pulled the 20lb beast out of the freezer and checked. It touches the lid so.....until I change my mind, again, on the rotisserie it goes!

My 22lb turkey when on the grill touched the lid. 16lb was good.

I now remove the grate and add another lower one:
Charcoal baskets on the side on kettle.
Fire bricks on side, inside the CBs, an old rectangular grill grate spans the bricks.
Then the turkey roaster pan (aluminum disposable), this also shields the bird from direct heat.
Then another grill inside the turkey pan held up 1/2" - I had some spare aluminum square stock.
The raised grill inside the pan is to keep the turkey out of the drippings.
Great idea, but I'm too damn lazy 😉

Yeah...that's the road I'm headed down. The bird is a tad too tall to close the lid.

Question: Is it okay for the bird to be spin over the charcoal baskets?

I'm spinning a chicken this evening. I set up the Weber charcoal baskets, then stuck the Turkey on the grate to see how it was going to fit over the fire. A small part of the bird, on both sides, will end up directly over the charcoal baskets as it spins.

Thanks!

Use your rotisserie ring to turn your rotisserie. I've spun many a turkey, nearly all > 20LBS

JfS1Bjg.jpg

xQxzAlJ.jpg

cEq0DFk.jpg

Back