Using the gasser (side burner) to light the chimney

Don Irish

TVWBB Pro
I saw this posted by Rich Langer in a thread on WSM vs. gasser.....BRILLIANT!!!! Works great!

First roasting some freshly picked green chilies from the garden, then some country style ribs, Italian sausages (hot and sweet) and a couple of fatties….just had the urge today now that the temps outside have subsided a bit. Life is good.

Those gassers are good for something..
icon_biggrin.gif

Turkey fryers are great for lighting the chimney up also.

Enjoy the good eats and the weather.
icon_smile.gif

I converted a turkey fryer just for lightning my chimney. That type burner works alot better because it will shoot a flame all the way up the chimney.

Randy

This is great! Whenever I've needed a few coals boost, just fire it up! BRILLIANT! I can see how the turkey fryers would be even better (ever seen the video of the Profs from I.U. in the contest to start the coals the fastest? They used liquid O2! Took about 0.2 seconds. and melted the grill).
icon_biggrin.gif

I don't remember who posted it but I read about that about 2 years ago. The only time I don't use the side burner is when I am out of gas.

Bill,
There were no ashes. I just put it on the burner for a few minutes(~5 or so), then relocated to a safe place....works GREAT!!!
Many thanks to Rich for the original post which was seemingly just an off the cuff remark.

Gee, I really kicked something off, didn't I?
icon_smile.gif

After running the side burner for a couple or 5 minutes, I turn it off and let the chimney sit on the side burner bruning - no problem with ash

I tried using my gasser side burner once or twice to light a chimney of Kingsford. I let it go for 5 minutes, then removed the chimney to a safe place to continue the heating process. Even after only 5 minutes there was quite a bit of ash around the side burner.

I was worried that it would eventually clog the venturi(s) so I stopped doing that and went back to my tried-and-true method of setting the chimney over a Sterno *liquid* fuel chafer burner.

Rita

I had been using the gasser almost exclusively for grilling because lighting the chimney had become unpredictable (using newspaper – if it is humid out or cold, too often one batch would not light the coals) and therefore start time was not reliable. Now with this technique, I would bet I will use the kettle much more often. The major reason to get the gasser was the convenience and reliability of when the start time will be…now I’m still glad I got it, if only to start the coals!
icon_biggrin.gif

I've never used a side burner, but I may have something better. A local gas outfitter told me about these. They're called Rutland Fire Starters. No fluid...I think it's just compressed recycled cardboard. They have NEVER failed to light my chimney (I got sick of newspaper being unreliable)

http://www.rutland.com/FCH_html/50B_50C.html

I think I bought the 144 ct. box 2 years ago and still have some left. I usually use three squares per light....

Originally posted by Don Irish:
Bill,
There were no ashes. I just put it on the burner for a few minutes(~5 or so), then relocated to a safe place....works GREAT!!!
Many thanks to Rich for the original post which was seemingly just an off the cuff remark.
I guess what I meant to say was not ash, but chips, it may not be a problem with briquets, but there are always some chips that fall through the chimney with lump. I 'll stick with the Weber "Firestarters" they only take 15 minutes to light a full chimney
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by rich langer:

After running the side burner for a couple or 5 minutes, I turn it off and let the chimney sit on the side burner bruning - no problem with ash

I also use my burner to light my chimney. However, I had one bad experience - I left the chimney (full of Royal Oak lump) on the burner until it was completely ready. When I moved it, I noticed that it had managed to partially MELT the aluminum burner. It still works, but it's deformed and a few holes are sealed shut.

Now I move the chimney to my kettle grate after 5 minutes or so and let it finish there.

I've been using a turkey fryer for lighting my chimney for 5 yrs. I turn it on for 1 minute, that's it. Been on the same tank for gas for the entire 5 yrs as the turkey frying is not for me.

Back