Using less fuel on the WSM 22"

You could also use an old dog cage and wrap it in bubble wrap like Chuck R did.http://virtualweberbullet.com/coldtemp.html

Tim

I saw the dog cage a while back, and it gave me the idea of using cattle fencing. It works, but is somewhat cumbersome to unfold and setup, and my partial roll of reflective wrap would only go about 24" high. I used a tarp to cover the rest of the cage.

The whole apparatus was hideous looking at best. :rolleyes:

Make each panel roughly the height of the WSM and maybe twelve inches wide(or a little larger) recycle some old door hinges, duct tape the reflectix the the frame, it isn't rocket science really!
If you like duct tape, you could even make the hinges with that! Half an hour once you get the parts together.
Heck, you could use sheets of the reflectix taped to the kind of "horse fence" posts that they just push into the ground. I love duct tape!

If I could find a roll of wire mesh, like the stuff I used to fabricate, I could cut it to size and attach reflectix to the outside. Just simply roll the fixture up for storage.

I do have a small roll of sturdy fine mesh, but it has a lot of memory, and it will cut you like a razor if handled improperly. Wire like that has to be fabricated with special edging for user protection.

Last edited:
You could also make the frame entirely from PVC pipe. Press fit rather than glue the joints and then you can tear it down for storage. I have a thing kind of like that I use to hold those stupid paper yard waste bags open. The jury is still out on whether it's worth it for that purpose, but at least at the end of the season I can break it down into two flat squares and two single pipes that are easy to store. I think it cost me about $3 for the PVC parts. You could use a similar design here. Two rectangular side pieces and two straight cross pieces to hold them together. Once you had the side pieces made it would take you less than a minute to assemble. The Reflectix could be a permanent installation on the side pieces and quickly taped in place on the cross pieces. A couple sandbags or bricks or landscape staples to hold it in place and you should be set.

I saw the dog cage a while back, and it gave me the idea of using cattle fencing. It works, but is somewhat cumbersome to unfold and setup, and my partial roll of reflective wrap would only go about 24" high. I used a tarp to cover the rest of the cage.

The whole apparatus was hideous looking at best. :rolleyes:

I smoke in some pretty cold conditions and for windbreaks I just use a couple of garbage cans.
As long as it works, don't care what it looks like:)

Tim

Back