Using an inner ring for snake/fuse method?

Dave Z

Has anyone ever experimented with an "inner charcoal ring" to help with the fuse/snake method of burning charcoal?

My thinking is if the 22" ring is 17 inches, dropping a smaller ring (around 10 or 11 inches) inside.

My thinking is this would allow me to make my snake/fuse more stable (higher / wider) and might be useful?

Any thoughts or experience? Many thanks!!

The fuse-snake method was more for kettles then WSM's I believe, but I like your idea.
Could be just the ticket for low temps for jerky.

Sure that will work, as would strategically placed fire bricks.. But if you build the snake up tight to the basket edge you can build it as high or as wide as you want...sometimes I'll start with a narrow low snake and graduate it wider and or higher if I want the temp higher near the end of the cook.

You could put a Vortex inside the ring. FWIW, Vortex recommends using a Vortex for snaking inside a kettle.

Low & Slow Cooking/Smoking

The Vortex can redirect the flow of heat up and around the meat which can turn your kettle into a true indirect ‘smoker’.

Vortex goes Wide-End up. Coals go around the perimeter onto the fire grate.

Place meat directly over Vortex in the center. The coals are lit on one end and snake/minion their way around the kettle. The Vortex shape acts as the deflector for direct heat which is different than snaking the coals without the Vortex.

Back