Using a coffee can with a Minion start - WSM

Rich Langer

TVWBB Guru
I usually put about 2 handfuls of brix (8 - 10) in the chimney, get them lit and spill them on top of a full charcoal ring. Works well, but seems inelegant.

Someone mentioned using a coffee can - does one put the coffee can on some charcoal, then add more charcoal around the can so that after adding the lit brix to the can and removing the can, the lit brix are surrounded - bottom, sides and top with unlit?

Does this work better than just dumping the lit on top??

I use something a little smaller than a coffee can; like a large soup or beans can. I put it on the grate and then fill unlit charcoal and smoke wood around it. Then I put the few lit coals in the can and pull the can out with tongs. Voila! Works great.

I use the tin can method and really like it . . . probably works exactly the same way as dumping your lit on top but I think this way is very "cool" and I like how it burns from the inside out. EDIT: I also wanted to add that if you have a neighbor/family member etc. watching you setup they really think you know what you're doing using this method.

I bought a med. size can of Bush's baked beans, probably about 28 oz, cut the top and bottom off, washed and I have a tin can for my MM.

I first place the tin can in the center of my ring, make my son hold it in the center and dump a layer of coals, then layer some wood chunks, then another layer of coals. I put about 6 coals in the bottom of the tin can too. Light 8 - 10 briquets in my chimney, when ready dump carefully into my tin can and use tongs to slowly remove the can from the ring. Pretty easy and it looks very cool!

Here are a couple of pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/9835241@N05/sets/72157601701456508 Sorry for the crappy hosting service, I'm switching over to Photo Bucket. Best way to view is to put click on view as side show.

Oh, I've learned one thing, I'll place two pieces of wood chunks right on the coals in addition to what I've buried. If you have any questions, let me know.

One day I couldn't find the coffee can. I just left a well in the center of the unlit briquettes in the charcoal ring. The well was about 5 inches across and 4 or 5 inches deep. I filled the well with 10 or 15 burning briquettes and that worked fine. Haven't used the coffee can since.

After reading the above posts, I think I'll try it with a one pound (13 oz) coffee can - just for the kewlness factor
wsmsmile8gm.gif

i put a small coffee can with both ends out in my chimney. it helps keep them bunched up so they light evenly. then i just dump them in a "well" in the center of the ring.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i put a small coffee can with both ends out in my chimney. it helps keep them bunched up so they light evenly. then i just dump them in a "well" in the center of the ring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard of people doing this as the standard chimney method is tough, you've got to stack the briquets just right. I bought an extra chimney and "inverted" the bottom grate so it's in a cone shape, works like a charm for 8 - 10 briquets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
I bought an extra chimney and "inverted" the bottom grate so it's in a cone shape, works like a charm for 8 - 10 briquets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I recently got an e-mail from LAScott, a long-lost friend of TVWB, saying that he just turns his Weber Chimney Starter upside down, puts the Minion Method starter briquettes in what is normally the bottom compartment, and lights the fire in what is normally the charcoal compartment.

I tried it yesterday using 30 briquettes and two paraffin starters. Worked like a champ.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rusty Barton:
One day I couldn't find the coffee can. I just left a well in the center of the unlit briquettes in the charcoal ring. The well was about 5 inches across and 4 or 5 inches deep. I filled the well with 10 or 15 burning briquettes and that worked fine. Haven't used the coffee can since. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can attest to this method.... I also didn't use a coffee can and just left a "hole" in the middle.. dump 1/2 a chimney or so of lit in the hole and off you go.. I wouldn't think it had to be exact.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Brewer:
What is the advantage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Honestly, I don't know that there is one . . . I just like doing it. It seems that the same outcome could be realized without it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Brewer:
What is the advantage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you have people watching you set up and start the fire, they will be impressed even before they try the food.

Back