Using a Charcoal Grill on Wooden Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Williams

Do any of you guys use a charcoal grill (or WSM) on a wooden deck? I've used my WSM out there, but have a pan under it filled with water. (The pan is a hot water heater pan, with the hole plugged.) I just got a new 26.75 Kettle and want to use it on the deck, but not if it's considered unsafe.

Is there still a risk of fire with the One-Touch container under it? Should I put a pan with water under it?

Thanks for any info.

This is my third post on here tonight, kind of bored. Anyways I was wondering where you bought a fireproof mat from John. I've been using my grill on our deck and would like to find one to use. Most of the ones I come across all say "not for use with charcoal grill."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob_Fox:
This is my third post on here tonight, kind of bored. Anyways I was wondering where you bought a fireproof mat from John. I've been using my grill on our deck and would like to find one to use. Most of the ones I come across all say "not for use with charcoal grill." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our ACE Hardware sells them, round and oval ones.

Steve/Rob - you can find the ceramic grilling mats also at Home Depot or Lowe's. I have both a rectangle and round shaped ones. Rectangle costs around $30, round one about $20.

where i used to live i cooked on a wood deck and kept one of those fire mats under and a fire extinguisher handy and never left it unattended. too much can go wrong when cooking on wood decks not to be prepaired and have the proper safety equipment in place and handy. i also had a indoor/outdoor rug under the mat and surrounding my grill. you will be surprised how far a hot coal can go as it falls through.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Williams:
Do any of you guys use a charcoal grill (or WSM) on a wooden deck? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, I use a WSM and a OTG on a wooden deck. I have had no issues. I purchased mats for each, more for cleanliness than fire protection, although I suppose that is a benefit as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back