Using 25cfm fan on 22 1/2 wsm

Rich S

TVWBB Member
Does anyone use the 25cfm fan on the WSM 22 1/2? I have the 10cfm fan with the adapter for the stoker and I am just underwhelmed by the help of stoking the fire.

I see that rocks makes an adapter that is a wheel adapter. I am assuming that it is for use with the WSM.

Hi Rich,

I think that the 10 CFM fan has more than enough power for the 22 WSM. The 25 CFM fan is designed more for larger smokers such as a Stumps. I have both the 5 CFM and 10 CFM fan and have used both on the 18 and 22 WSMs respectively. I use the BBQ Guru Standard Weber Fan Mounting Adapter on my WSMs and have Rocks, BBQ Guru adapter on the fan itself. You might want to try that instead of the "Dog Bowl" adapter. You might want to check to make sure that all your bottom vents are in fact closed and that your top vent is only open slightly. I hope this helps.

Rich, in another thread I saw that you were using water in the water pan. I think this is a mistake if you are using your stoker and continue to use water in the water pan. You are taking the stoker out of its best parameters to perform it's role of maintaining temp. It would be the same if you were using the stoker and left the bottom vents all open. Most people on these boards using an ATC will have the water pan in the WSM but will wrap it in foil which will have a pillow of air trapped in the foil.

I use a water pan with my controller with no problems. I have an Auber but I would assume a controller is a controller.

Thanks for all the responses.

I am new to the stoker. I used with foiled clay saucer for one cook and water for another. The problem is with the rib cooks and i want higher temps. I may be expecting too much from the stoker. Example of my issue is I want the temps up to 275 after a long cook. So the stoker by itself couldnt get the temps up but I can get there if I leave the door to the WSM open, I guess i was thinking there would be enough power to amp up the temps using the fan to the same level as I would with the door open....

Last edited:
Rich,

As others have said, the 10cfm fan works well on the 22.5 wsm. One needs to start with enough lit coals and have the pit probe measuring the air temperature, not air temperature as cooled by the meat.
Getting ready to put on a 16.5 brisket and 2 nice sized butts for a total prepped meat load of approx 34 - 35 lbs.

Followup : Brisket ready at 9 hrs and butts an hour later. Plenty of unused coals left. Only issue was the over sized pecan wood chunks igniting thereby sending the temp over set-point. Caused a few control problems. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

Back