Uses for old ash

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
Is there any constructive use for old ash, other than throwing away?

I hate filling up bags on bags of old Kinsford ash and throwing them in the trash... can ash be mixed with soil and used in a garden? Or would that throw off the pH balance and kill your stuff? Hey... maybe then your vegetables would taste like smoke?
icon_smile.gif
Now that would be cool.

Seriously, though, has anyone found an alternative use for old ash? Spreading on the garden? Lawn? Or best just to keep throwing it away...

I've always been told not to use it for gardens/flower beds. I just toss it away. I hope to hear of a better use for it.

I dump big heaps of it on unwanted weeds (it's like a filthy mulch) but I don't know if that's a good use for it, really.

Because of all the fillers and other ingredients in charcoal briquettes, I've heard that it's not a good idea to use it on your lawn or garden. Now, if you're using lump charcoal, you can use the ashes from that.

I put it in places I want to destroy (but i'm not sure it destroys anything). Kingsford is made of:

Powdered charcoal, anthracite coal for long burning, limestone to create ash, starch as binders, and sawdust and sodium nitrate for quick lighting. "The starch is perfectly natural and the coal is high-quality," says a company spokesman.

There's nothing really bad about it, I don't think. Tomatoes would be happy about the lime.

so... you are saying that antracite, limestone and sodium nitrate aren't good for herbs?
icon_smile.gif

alright, dang it. My hopes for finding a valuable use for the darn ash goes out the window.

Susan... so, does it get rid of the unwanted weeds?

Only if I crush them with inches of it! Otherwise I think it makes them thrive. I believe I did put some in my garden with my tomatoes and they're happy as clams.

My mom's ivy likes it too.

These guys say "no" to using bbq ashes in garden soil.

BBQ ashes

Before GURU, I found that it was a good absorbant for the water in the pan.

I have dumped in on the plants I doesent seem to do anything how ever if you have dogs they will want to lick it because of the drippins.

I've used it in the past as a de-icer for the sidewalk in front of the house (although I hesitate to use it for the walkway leading to the house door (a tad messy underfoot).

The ash blackens when litely wetted, then the ash absorbs heat and drills down thru the ice helping to break it up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Susan Z:
Some folks think they can taste Kingsford, too. (The anti Minion method camp) Go figure! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't "think" that I can taste Kingsford, I know that I do. And I use the MM with lump quite successfully. Go figure.

Jim

I have heard that, given "clean ashes", that they can be used in a garden, using it in the same way the "potash" is used.

With the minimal understanding I have of acid/base and soils, I believe you would not use a whole lot of ashes in your garden, or it could throw your Ph balance off. As they say, everything in moderation.

"clean ashes" would mean - no ashes from "quick-light" briquettes. I've also heard that the ash remains from burning coal, is NOT to be used in a garden.

So, wood ash and briquette ash is ok to use, but in moderation, and after getting your soil tested to understand your current Ph.

seriously, why haven't I thought of just using my shop vac for the stuff... I hate trying to scoop most of it up, then dumping the rest into a bag, getting half on my feet, the rest on the ground.

shop vac... that works.

does it clog your filter easily?

Back