Uses for old ash

Clogs eventually but I rotate filters. Finally learned to wash filters with water and let dry as the instructions say instead of tapping the filter clean and bending the delicate seal.

Oh yeah...do it the next day or so when you know the coals are out. Shop vac fires really suck! ; )

Greg

Ah yes... the Shop Vac...! I gazed out onto my patio and saw the kettle with a pile of ash in the catch-tray, with some ash inside the bowl.... I grabbed my trusty shop vac and hit the "on" button.

I learned several lessons:

1. If the filter is not in, you get an impressive back-blast cloud of ash all over.

2. The slight tingly shocks I received while accidentally touching the kettle bowl while shop vac-ing were slightly alarming.

3. While trying to gently tap the very full filter onto my garden planter, several things happened: Wind swirl got ashes into my eyes and onto my clothes. I tapped too closely to my redwood-stained fence and I was rewarded with impressive ash residue splatter pattern. The ash that fell onto my broad sunflower leaves looked a bit like nuclear fall-out.

4. Never wear suede "Vans" while tapping an ash filled filter.

5. I still had to dump the shop vac bowl into the trash, only not as neatly as I do the kettle ash catcher, so I spilled ash over the back of my trash can.

6. My filter is still dirty and my shop vac bowl is dirtier than when I started. I had to change my t-shirt and I need to find my shoe cleaner.

Greg.... you're a better man than I...! I'll revert to taking the ash catcher directly to the trash can.
icon_biggrin.gif

LMAO

With a BBK or a Silver kettle, just as easy for me to pickup the whole kettle and dump it in the trash can (the next day)

Years ago the town of Wausau Wisconsin used to
spread ashes on the streets after plowing in
place of salt. I am not sure if the still do
this, but it seemed to work well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob H.:
Years ago the town of Wausau Wisconsin used to
spread ashes on the streets after plowing in
place of salt. I am not sure if the still do
this, but it seemed to work well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think any town still continues this practice. What came out of the public incinerators back then was "everything" condensed....not good when a lot of stuff that was burned is now considered extremely hazardous.

Remember when they used spent motor oil to keep the dust down on dirt roads? Imagine trying to do that today.

My ashes go into my compost pit, or scattered lightly throughout the garden, or sifted over the lawn. No problems with that yet.

Back