USA Today top 10 places

I've been trying to get to Kirk's R.U.B. for a while. Last time I was in Manhattan, on a Sunday, I had a two-hour window. It was 3pm and my family was at their front door only to realize that they weren't open until 6pm. I was one disappointed bbq'er. I settled for where we always go, Dallas BBQ. Nice Texas size Marguerita though.
icon_smile.gif

Flattery will get you everywhere, Craig. Come on down for jerk pork or sirloin tip roast tomorrow for Derby day!

Haven't been to R.U.B. or BB's. Of course all lists of this sort are subjective but the list is very surprising from a supposed 'Barbecue Queen'. From a statement like 'There have got to be 500, if not a thousand, and so many are good, it's hard to choose...' it's obvious she hasn't eaten in many Texas joints, especially if Kreuz is the best she can come up with. It reads supiciously like other lists where it seems--to me--like the authors pick most places based more on what they think will look good (i.e., gleaned from others' lists or a Lexis-Nexis search) plus a choice or two for originality. It would be nice if more than just the occasional list read as if its author had actually sampled barbecue at enough places nationwide to be worthy of being asked to write one in the first place.

the author certainly didn't come to my house for a sample. Therefore, I hereby disqualify her from any future reports like this.

icon_smile.gif

Oh, Kruger, what time should I show up for jerk pork? My local jamaican place has stopped making it. depressing. I'm having a serious craving.

That's odd. They still exist but quit cooking jerk? If they bit the dust okay I'd get it but what are they cooking if they're not cooking jerk as well? Curry goat, peas-and-rice, beef or cabbage patties...?

Dinner's at 5 which means we'll eat some time between 6 and 8!

they still do jerk chicken - just not jerk pork any longer. Their goat curry isn't too bad, but they have generic patties.

Two places from KC, huh? Fiorella's is ok, their original place, Smokestack (in the sprawling house) is better- great burnt ends, beans, and o-rings, but that's it. BB's is a blues joint, but I was unimpressed with their food- it was quite average to me. I can think of a dozen better places in the area. Oh, well, just my .02 vs. theirs.

Eric, I agree with you on the two KC choices. Now don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Jack Stack. They've got three locations with another opening on the Plaza soon (where the KC Masterpiece used to be), and one is just up the street from where I work in Overland Park. Everything they do is very good, but nothing really truly stands out to me as being knock-my-socks-off excellent. I've been to BB's a couple of times, and it's a great place for atmosphere, but I wouldn't put their food in my top ten.

I'd rather see places like Oklahoma Joe's (either the original at 47th and Mission or the new one on 119th at I-35 in Olathe) or Smokin' Guns in North Kansas City profiled. Those are a couple of my faves.

Yeah, Dwain, Oklahoma Joe's is better, so are Quick's in KCK, Smokin' Joe's in Olathe, and K&M in Spring HIll. My favorite, though, is still Haywards. Not the joint that Smokin' Joe's or K&M is, but their sauce is *perfect*.

I will second Wilbur's in Goldsboro, NC. THey are my goal whenever I am on the smoker. An open fire is just tough to beat.

Back