Urgent brisket problems

Bill C.

Need some sage advice!

I put an 11 pound brisket on the WSM last night at 9:30pm. Smoker temp has ranged from 200-235F throughout duration. It is now 6:45PM (21+ hours later), and the internal temp of the brisket is reading only 172F. I can't believe that it's not in the 180s yet...and I have to serve it for a late dinner.

The brisket stalled out this morning around 151F for 3-4 hours, which was expected...but since then it has only SLOWLY crept up.

What gives? I don't want a tough brisket but good grief it's been on a LONG time!

Do I risk pulling it? When I checked it a couple hours ago (only time I've lifted the lid), it seemed quite tender to the fork.

Couple of questions to aid diagnosis:

1. Have you checked your thermometer previously to make sure it's reading accurately? (both the smoker therm and the meat therm_

2. What method are you using to measure the temp in the smoker? Are you measuring temp through the lid vent or at the grate? It is possible if that reading is off that your smoker temp could actually be around 172, thus your meat will not get any hotter.

3. Where is the brisket are you measuring temp?

Bill, I am not a brisket expert by any stretch, however, I did learn a lot on my last brisket cook - Here's the THREAD, lots of good advice from brisket pros here.

In short and so you don't have to read three pages of thread; go by feel not temp., I went by temp and got hosed. If your probe slides into the brisket without any resistance she's done. This is fork tender. Many of the experienced brisket guys on here don't go by temp on their briskets. Mine was fork tender around 180 (probably sooner if I would have checked) and I should have pulled her when I checked it.

If she's still not fork tender you may want to consider foiling her for the remainder of the cook. My suspicion however is she's probably done or damn close.

Hope this helps and let us know how she turns out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay Turner:
Couple of questions to aid diagnosis:

1. Have you checked your thermometer previously to make sure it's reading accurately? (both the smoker therm and the meat therm_

2. What method are you using to measure the temp in the smoker? Are you measuring temp through the lid vent or at the grate? It is possible if that reading is off that your smoker temp could actually be around 172, thus your meat will not get any hotter.

3. Where is the brisket are you measuring temp? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I checked the thermometer when I first purchased it (about 6 months ago). It is a Redi-Chek. At that time it was reading essentially the same as my standard dial thermometer on both probes. I suppose it is possible that it's no longer accurate.

I'm measuring smoker temp through the top vent. The probe is dangling fairly close to the top of the meat, but not touching it.

I'm measuring the temp in what I believe is the "point" section...the thick portion at one end. I have the probe inserted into the center of this.

It is now at 174F according to my remote. Very strange. I very much appreciate your response and help.

hmmm an 11lb brisket...21 hours is too long? Is it possible your temps are 200 and below? Where r u taking your temp readings at? How r u taking temp of meat? It should take 1.5 hours a lb....generally. 2 hour a lb for brisket=super low temps. I would wrap twice in aluminum...bump up to 300...350. when it hits 195-197 pull it out and let it sit. It will be ok...we all been there. I prefer 250-265. Dont be afraid to jack up the temps...after the stall point all is rendered. It still can come out great. Please post w/ an update

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm measuring the temp in what I believe is the "point" section...the thick portion at one end. I have the probe inserted into the center of this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's a pic. that should give you a good idea of where to measure your temp - PROBE PIC

we posted at the same time. Dont stick in the middle of the point. Stick in the flat just b4 the point. You can always cut flat off..wrap and leave point on. Temps r still to low in meat for the point...in my opinion. Your temp at meat surface can be a little lower than what your reading. Wrap...and jack up the temp. Its after the stall point...you should hit 195 quickly. I hate to say this but....you can wrap and put in oven too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill C.:
I'm measuring the temp in what I believe is the "point" section...the thick portion at one end. I have the probe inserted into the center of this.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you are in fact in the point, that may well be the problem The point takes alot longer to cook than the rest (flat) of the brisket. Being as it's fattier, you may be getting an incorrect reading and you may want to check somewhere else in the flat, though "K" will probably disagree with this.

Good Luck.

Bill

Thanks to all. I made the executive decision to pull it off after testing with a fork. It seems very tender but I guess the proof is in the pudding. It's resting right now.

I had no idea I was measuring in the wrong spot...live and learn, won't make that mistake again!

I will post an update after dinner!

we have all been there. Remember to just make a slit in the aluminum....for 15 minutes b4 you eat. This will help the meat pull juices back into meat. Also cut across the grain...every little bit help to ensure a moist flat.

Guys, everything turned out fine. I can't explain what happened, but I guess at this point it doesn't matter. It was tender and fairly juicy - not the best specimen I've ever eaten but far from the worst. Next time I'll get the probe in the right spot and hopefully improve upon things.

Bill, some other observations. If I was not doing a hot and fast cook on brisket I would recommend two things . One, cook between 250-270 at the lid. Two, after the temp gets to around 170-175 you can foil which will help speed up your cook. Also,I also let the brisket rest wrapped with foil and a towel in a cooler for at least 2 hours after pulling off smoker

Back