upside down storage

I Q a bit during the summer, but never more than once every two weeks. I've learned to put my Weber away as soon as possible to make it easier to use the next time. But whenever I use it, there's always awful sludgey gunk in the bottom from rain and charcoal residue.
(Why do they make those covers so tight? It's a bloody struggle to get themon and off!)
So the last couple of times, instead of putting it back together, I put the barrel down first, then the racks inside. Then I put the cover on and placed the bottom *upside down* on top of everything. Presto, no sludge.

Cheers,
Michael

Mine gets stored inside, no sludge here
icon_biggrin.gif

I would offer a suggestion though, for those who have to keep them outside...if you have a couple scrap pieces of PT 2x4, you can elevate the smoker off the ground and allow the air to flow up into the area. Why? To remove the humidity that can build up inside. Humidity --> rust, guaranteed!

$.02

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Clark:
Just try putting it together with the middle section upside down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, what Robert said. If you put the midsection on upside down, the water can't get into the charcoal bowl that way. I clean my grates right after I'm done cooking, and they hang on the wall in the garage. The grates tend to rust if you keep them outside in the WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G.:
hmmm. Maybe i'll try that, but this is working really well.

Cheers,
Michael </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And my cover shrunk so much over the years, that it hasn't been put on in 3 years. I get zero water in the WSM, and it has sat outside year round since 2002.
icon_wink.gif

my cat peed on my covers...

but i got a small garden shed i store the units in so i tossed the covers. the covers are cute but are a pain in the ***. if your leaving it outside inner section upside down make sure the door is up against the house so a storm doesnt blow its way in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Merka:
my cat peed on my covers... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if smoked cat would be any good. hmmmmmm

So the bottom, charcoal bowl is still on the bottom, but the water pan is upside down. Is that the idea?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
And my cover shrunk so much over the years, that it hasn't been put on in 3 years. I get zero water in the WSM, and it has sat outside year round since 2002.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G.:
So the bottom, charcoal bowl is still on the bottom, but the water pan is upside down. Is that the idea?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
With the WSM in front of you, take off the lid and set it down. Remove the grates and water pan if they are in there. You could store all that stuff down in the charcoal bowl if needed, but I don't like leaving the grates and pan outside. Once the mid section is empty of said grates and pan, just take the midsection and turn it upside down, and place it on the charcoal bowl, then set the lid back on, making sure the top vent is closed. That's it, no rain can run in where the lid sets on to the mid section, or where the mid section goes into the charcoal bowl.
icon_wink.gif

Back