Upgrading a Silver Kettle to Gold

Rich Langer

TVWBB Guru
I have a <span class="ev_code_RED">red </span>22.5" Silver kettle that I would like to be a Gold kettle.

By looking at the parts diagram it looks to me that 3 parts are needed

90466 Ash catcher ring. 22-1/2 inch. 2000 model year.

60803 Ash catcher handle. Master-Touch and Performer grills.

90467 Ash catcher bowl. Fits 22-1/2 inch. 2000 model year.

I notice that on my Silver kettle there are holes where the leg stubs attach to the body - will the prongs on the ash catcher fit those holes?

Anyone know?

I don't own a Silver kettle for the reason that my gear is on a deck so the Gold's ash pan is a necessity for me. I'll admit up front that I've never tried this or looked closely at a Silver, but have wondered occassionally whether it could be done. I'll take a shot at this though...

The 90466 Ash catcher ring. 22-1/2 inch. 2000 model year attaches to the 3 leg stubs mounted to the bowl. The ash catcher ring has 3 flat tabs where it attaches to the 3 leg stubs. The 3 individual leg stubs each have 3 points where they attach to the bowl. The magic question, in my mind, is this. Look on the inside of your 3 leg stubs, you should have a flat hole between the points of contact at the bowl that is wider than the holes between the other 2 points of contact on that individual leg stub. This is where the tabs on the ash catcher ring fit. If you have that, you should be ok, I would think.

Please let me know how this workd out...my curiousity is up also.

Best Regards,
Scott

Rich, I"m equally curious about the possibility of conversion.

I read somewhere of a "poor man's" conversion of placing a large coffee can in the charcoal catcher of the Silver kettle and the can serves the purpose of the Gold's ash catcher. I'm suppose that you could put holes in the coffee can to help ensure air flow.

This is discussed in the Modification Section -

Silver to Gold

Last post says Weber says - "I am sorry, but the closed ash catcher cannot be retrofitted to your grill because the leg welds are spaced differently on the bowls."

I am not sure for which size kettle though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Foreman:
you should have a flat hole between the points of contact at the bowl that is wider than the holes between the other 2 points of contact on that individual leg stub. This is where the tabs on the ash catcher ring fit. If you have that, you should be ok, I would think.

Please let me know how this workd out...my curiosity is up also.

Best Regards,
Scott </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I looked at me Silver kettle - two of the leg stubs have holes for the ring to catch, but the third leg stub has a weld in just the wrong place. I think that on a warm day, I should pull the three parts off my performer and see if they will fit on the Silver kettle.

Personally, for me, it is unsatisfactory to assume it will not work because Weber says so. Just my take on the way things are.
icon_wink.gif

If we were to use some of the very finest gold spray paint on Eric's coffee can, would it still be a poor mans conversion? :-)

Rich,

Personally, I'm with ya on the comment that it is unsatisfactory to assume that it won't work just because Weber says so. It's not in Weber's best interests to say so. There's approximately $50 difference in price between the Gold and Silver and I doubt those 3 parts are going to total that. The only other real major difference is the hinged cooking grate on the Gold and that's maybe another 15 bucks or so.

What I could see Weber doing, which would tie into your observation of one leg stub having a weld in the wrong place, is for them to rotate one of the leg stubs 45 to 90 degrees or so to keep you from converting easily. Maybe an enterprising feller with a file or Dremel could overcome that obstacle.

If you need it, I have both a 22 1/2 and an 18 1/2 OTG, so I could try to take some pics of the leg stubs on either or both if it will help. My email address is in my profile, feel free to drop me a line there if you would like.

Best Regards,
Scott

I had a 22 1/2 one touch gold that was wore out, but the ash catcher ring, handle and bowl were in pretty good shape. It was 5+ years old. A couple months ago I bought a new silver and put those pieces on. Fit fine. I did wrap some wire around each leg and ring tab to hold it on better. I can't recall any of the leg mounts not having a slot.... Looked but couldn't tell. But if one of the tabs wasn't seated in a slot I think I would have noticed. I think the grill bodies are all the same. I can't believe Weber would manufacture two different grill bodies just to foil upgrade attempts.

I called Weber Customer Service, they said "we know you, you have a performer" So I told them I wanted to order the three parts for the ash catcher. They came to about $25 and I also ordered 22.5" and 18.5" stainless, hinged grates.

Should be interesting
icon_wink.gif

Let us know how it works. My feeling is that Weber mass produces the kettle bottoms all the same, and just puts the parts in the box for a silver or gold. When they say it can't be done, they might be referring to older kettles before they started paying attention to how the leg sockets are welded on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a red 22.5" Silver kettle that I would like to be a Gold kettle.

By looking at the parts diagram it looks to me that 3 parts are needed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I picked up a couple Red kettles with Master-Touch lids but neither one of them have the One-Touch Ash cans, just an ash pan. What does Weber CS have to say? Here is an interesting set up I saw at a comp recently.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/100_1964.jpg
Just a twisted thought! Galvanized buckets for quantity!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
I called Weber Customer Service, they said "we know you, you have a performer" So I told them I wanted to order the three parts for the ash catcher. They came to about $25 and I also ordered 22.5" and 18.5" stainless, hinged grates.

Should be interesting
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rich, how did this work out? With the free shipping until 11/30, I'm going to place an order and was thinking I might also buy the parts you ID'd and convert my OTS to an OTG.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a red 22.5" Silver kettle that I would like to be a Gold kettle.

By looking at the parts diagram it looks to me that 3 parts are needed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I picked up a couple Red kettles with Master-Touch lids but neither one of them have the One-Touch Ash cans, just an ash pan. What does Weber CS have to say? Here is an interesting set up I saw at a comp recently.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/100_1964.jpg
Just a twisted thought! Galvanized buckets for quantity! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brian, don't know if you'll see this, but can you explain the photo w/ buckets a little more. The tape blocks the view and I can't tell exactly how it works. Does the ash pan have a hole in the middle to let the ash funnel into the bucket? How is the bucket attached?

It looks like the hole was cut in the sliver ash pan to just the right size. It lets the bucket which is tapered, fit in the hole and is stopped by the lip of the bucket before it falls thru. That is a great idea and on my list.

i converted my 18.5" from a 1ts to 1tg after a buddy of mine burned his house down with his charcoal grill. it works fine, you just have to order the 3 parts.

pick yourself up a ss hinged grate when you place your order. they're sweet. no more rust!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian J:
i converted my 18.5" from a 1ts to 1tg after a buddy of mine burned his house down with his charcoal grill. it works fine, you just have to order the 3 parts.

pick yourself up a ss hinged grate when you place your order. they're sweet. no more rust! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With the free shipping deal (assuming that applies to AK) I'll be ordering several things from Weber. (Code - TURKEYO7 if you haven't seen these posts).

I have the 22.5", but I've got to believe it will work the same for the conversion.

BUMP so you can order the parts while you can get free shipping from Weber.

To convert a 22.5" silver to gold get

Also order a stainless flip up grate.

You will also need some stainless hose clamps

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
BUMP so you can order the parts while you can get free shipping from Weber.

To convert a 22.5" silver to gold get

Also order a stainless flip up grate.

You will also need some stainless hose clamps </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 stupid questions:

1. "BUMP" ?? Is that like the "LOL" type of thing.
icon_confused.gif

2. Hose clamps - hardware purchase or does Weber also offer this? I'm assuming the hose clamps are necessary to make the ash catcher conversion work?

bump means they are posting to move the thread back to the top of the forum. everytime someone replies, a post is put back to the top of the list.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Aarseth:
2. Hose clamps - hardware purchase or does Weber also offer this? I'm assuming the hose clamps are necessary to make the ash catcher conversion work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought them at Walmart, any auto supply house would also have them.

The prongs on the ash catcher ring SHOULD go into the holes in the leg stubs and that should hold the assembly on. If the prong and the hole do not line up a hose clamp will hold it - and if they do line up, how can a hose clamp hurt?

Just make sure to have the mechanism of the hose clam on the INSIDE so it doesn't look too jerry-rigged.

Back