upgrade 1986 26.75 OT kettle to OTG?

Bill Klinke

TVWBB Fan
Does anyone have any idea if it's possible to add the ash bucket of a current OTG to a 26.75 one touch kettle I bought new in 1986?

I want to start using my oldest kettle more because of the extra room over a 22.5, but every time I empty that ash tray reminds me of why I don't use it as much as either of my 22.5 OTGs. (especially grilling in colder, windier weather here in michigan)

I did a search in this forum and don't recall finding any definitive answer.

I know I could just go get a brand new 26.75, and I like that domed top better than this one's flattened top, but I'm kinda cheep.

thanks for any direction you can provide -

It's been done... I know one of the guy's over at Weber Kettle Club used one of the older style ash rings (that use the bar in the middle to hold the sweep) and mocked it up. Not sure how well it works, because both the older style ash rings and the new style ones are not big enough to attach to the leg posts on the flat top 26ers.

I just picked up an '86 flat top 26.75 a few weeks ago from CL! I much prefer older style... love the flat top and the spun steel bowl/lid. Seems to be much sturdier than the newer ones....

It's been done... I know one of the guy's over at Weber Kettle Club used one of the older style ash rings (that use the bar in the middle to hold the sweep) and mocked it up. Not sure how well it works, because both the older style ash rings and the new style ones are not big enough to attach to the leg posts on the flat top 26ers.

I just picked up an '86 flat top 26.75 a few weeks ago from CL! I much prefer older style... love the flat top and the spun steel bowl/lid. Seems to be much sturdier than the newer ones....

ok, thanks for the kettle club tip - I will try over there.
I was figuring the leg posts on this old 26.75 flattop were spread further out than newer ones so it might not be a straightforward idea.
Ironically, I prefer the domed top on the newer 26.75 rather than this flattish top. I don't seem to be able to get the 400+ temps on this flattop like I can easily get on a 22.5 kettle.

If you don't mind, how great a deal did you get for the 26.75 flattop on CL? I may think of selling this old 26.75 to put towards a new domed one, as well as keep looking on CL here.

I picked mine up for $100... you could probably, and possibly very easily get rid of it for a higher price. Just depends on your area and who's looking for what.....

Good luck!

Brian over at WKC did this to his 1985 G code 26.75" I think there still may be pictures on this site as well as WKC.

Back