unused fuel

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
I read recently someone mention that they load up the charcoal ring with more fuel than they might need (for a shorter cook) and if they don't need it all, they save it for the next cook. Obviously, this would only be appropriate for the minion method.

But how does that work? Say you are done after 4 hours, and only half of the fuel is lit or burned through... you can't reach in and grab the unlit fuel... nor can you take off the lit coal... eventually the thing is just going to burn through it all, right?

I've thought that maybe closing all vents would eventually burn out the fire, and leave some unburnt coal... but my guess is that there is just enough oxygen that creeps through the door and lids to keep the fire going even with all vents closed.

So, if anyone can explain how they do this, that would be great. I'm interested in preserving fuel wherever possible.

I think my WSM is somewhat leaky, but even so, I close all the vents and it does go out. The real convenient thing is that I had handles put on my charcoal grate that keep the charcoal ring from falling off and stick up above the charcoal ring. Makes it REAL easy to take the ring and grate out as a unit, shake the ash off, empty the bowl and put it back.

I run the wires for the Maverick through the front door. When I'm done, I just close all the vents and it goes out in about an hour (of course it been in the 20's here lately). There's always some unused char or lump the next time I open the cooker. I don't usually use it though. I keep it in a ash can and use it on the Smokey Joe. When I'm smoking, I like to use all fresh fuel that I know doesn't have the higher moisture content that the unused fuel from a previous burn does.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...But how does that work? Say you are done after 4 hours, and only half of the fuel is lit or burned through... you can't reach in and grab the unlit fuel... nor can you take off the lit coal... eventually the thing is just going to burn through it all, right?

I've thought that maybe closing all vents would eventually burn out the fire, and leave some unburnt coal... but my guess is that there is just enough oxygen that creeps through the door and lids to keep the fire going even with all vents closed.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Closing the vents should put the fire out to preserve unused fuel unless your WSM is leaky, but if it is you probably have trouble keeping your temps down to start with.

How does it work? I can try to explain it the way I understand it (right or wrong).

With the lid on the WSM controls combustion of the fuel by restricting air flow. There is nothing forcing air in but hot air rises creating a draft that introduces fresh combustion air. The lid and top vent restricts this draft.

If you close the vents the draft is prevented and eventually the fire will go out. My WSM is usually pretty cool within a couple of hours but I leave it for say at least 6 hours before putting the cover back on. I think you do waste some fuel killing the fire compared to an oven that has an off switch but it works pretty good.

Leftovers may have been partially consumed and may not burn as hot or as long the next time they are used.

It's better to burn up a little extra fuel than to run out during your cook. For a cook I expect to take 3 hours rather than fill the ring up and use the leftovers next time I would try to use just enough fuel plus some for insurance.

Leftover, partially-burned then extinguished briquets behave more like lump charcoal on re-use-- it burns hotter. Good for grilling and starting MM cooks-- if kept dry, of course.

I'll start with more fuel than I need so that when my first cook is done I can do another shorter cook immediately thereafter. If I opt not to do another cook or if I've overestimated my fuel needs I might save it for use in the kettle, if I remember to get it out of the WSM and store it in a less-humid location. If I don't, I just pitch it.

I've had problems mixing in used with new charcoal. Of course, Doug D is correct. I use the used in the kettle and it does burn more like lump. If I use it in the WSM I use it as part or all of the lit coals. If you mix it in the main batch, you can have a problem of temp flucuations when the used coals catch later during the cook.

Paul

I've always saved my unburnt fuel and re-use it in the next burn. 1 or 2 days after the cook, I dump the grate on a piece of wire mesh over a pail and stir the coals around. The ash all falls off and the teeny tiny pieces fall through and I'm left with some good size briquets. I mix them in with fresh briquest on my next cook and they work fine.

I've never mixed them in with fresh briquets-- I think I want to believe that using them to touch off Minion fires gives me a hotter start, and doesn't compromise an even burn or airflow as the fire works its way down through the bed.

I let the WSM set, usually at least overnight. I stir the used charcoal and let the small pieces and ash fall through the charcoal grate. Then I just pour on more for a full ring and lite it. Basically, I never just have "fresh" charcoal only.

I've been using "Restaurant Quality" lumpwood lately. Whatever that means ... big bag, probably. Most of the lumps on top are big logs, I have to dig around for smaller ones. Reusing the coals from the last cook as starter works really well. The major differences I notice between lump and briquettes is that lump responds more quickly to vent changes (including all the way off/shutdown -h now) and the lovely fine white ash. In fact, after a little more than an hour with all vents shut I can safely put the lid therm inside and put the cover on.

morgan

I never pull the leftovers out either. When it cools down, I shake it and dump the ash, put it in the garage with a trash bag and a bungy cord wrapped around it.

Any unused fuel I have gets put back in my chimney. Next time I use it, that's the stuff I use to start the Minion method. Works great and no waste...but as Doug said, must be dry!

this is all great info - thanks everybody.

Sounds like the unused fuel's going to be the fodder for my minion starts, as well as my grilling. Thanks for the info everybody.

Back