Under Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Critchfield

TVWBB Member
My family let the cat out of the bag today that I was getting a WSM for xmas. The catch is I get to cook the xmas dinner. So xmas day I have to assemble my new WSM and cook. I'm cooking for 12 adults and 4 children, leftovers are manditory /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . Our traditional dinner has been ham or beef. I think the vote this year will be for ham but I want to get some ideas for both. If I do ham it will be a ready to cook ham. Beef I;m not sure of, some type of roast. Personally I'd like to do a prime rib roast but I might have to refinance the house to afford one /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jay

I used my WSM first time today. I made the wiskey glaze from the web site and also tried the hony glaze, but on a regular 7 1/2 lb shank ham. I would suggest you look up my last post, talks about how the WSM hold heat well. Also under the smoking hams post another glaze was offered to me, I ran out hams today but it will be my next choice this next weekend for my christmas ham for family. I plan on making all 3 glazes, There is no such thing as too much left over ham! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Under this kind of pressure, I'd do a turkey. They cook quicker than pork or beef. If it turns out bad, you still have time to go to the store or restaurant.

I say break into the piggy bank and do a full 7 bone prime rib roast. NOTHING looks more impressive than this piece of meat when cooked to perfection, IMO.

Although I have not cooked a prime rib on an outdoor cooker YET, (yet being the operative word) I'm sure it would make for a fantastic WSM first cook. I'll be doing one on Christmas day as well, although probably not a full 7 bone.

Another vote for turkey. I put my WSM together in 30 minutes using only a crescent wrench. Did a 12lbr last weekend and finished up in 4-1/2 hrs (plus an hr to rest). Watcha gonna do with all that extra time on your hands /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bob j:
[qb] Watcha gonna do with all that extra time on your hands /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Why get into the Holiday spirit(s) of course! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The family voted for ham so I'm doing a whole "ready to cook" ham.

Now for the glaze.....

Do a turkey. 1.) It's also a holiday tradition. 2.) Your WSM may run hot on a first cook, so take advantage and cook 325-350*, dry pan. 3.) I wouldn't do a beef roast until I had a little more hands-on experience with my WSM, and one big enough for 16 people will take relatively forever. 4.) It's not cause for a re-fi. 5.) You can fit up to a 22-pounder, more than enough for the company expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back