Uncooked Cured Ham, LowNSlow or High Temp?

Josh Z.

TVWBB Pro
I just got my pretty little berkshire pig and I have to not so little hams to cure and cook. I have cooked one ham at 250 degrees and it was good. This ham will not have the skin on it. The last time I cooked a ham I did part of it scored and part of it skinless. The skinless part tasted better, but was a bit hard.

Is there any disadvantage to cooking it at a higher temp say between 300-350? I'm looking for a classic ham finish and will only be taking it to around 150ish.

Thanks,
Josh

At higher temps the exterior will be more 'cooked' than the interior if the piece is thick. As we discussed in that other thread, I keep skin on and cook at high temps (because we love the skin) and the skin and fat under it mitigates the higher temp.

If entirely skinless/fatless you might very well have a problem with drier outside portions. You might try removing the skin but leaving a good covering of the fat intact and cooking at, say, 275 or, if you'd like to remove all the fat, cooking at 275 and basting with a water-based (i.e., liquid as opposed to fat) baste but including a small portion of fat in the mix. Alternatively still, you could smoke at lower temps for a while, then foil the ham and boost your cook temp toward 330.

I don't have a choice on the skin due to the way the butcher does his cutting. I do believe that he left a good amount of fat on it though. I must admit I just threw the fresh meat in the fridge becuase I didn't have time to get to it last night.

Any tips or a specific recipe
icon_smile.gif
on a tasty baste as you mentioned above?

I'm thinking that a good smoke session and some foil ended with a glaze does sound good. I'll be reqeusting glaze recipe in the reqeust section too.

Thanks,
Josh

I've only done a very simple cure, but it sure was good. I'd would however be open to suggestions to take it from good to phenominal
icon_biggrin.gif

Here is it is all its glory.

Simple Ham Cure:

1 gallon water
1/2 cup (350 grams) kosher salt
2 packed cups (360 grams) grams dark brown sugar
1 and 1/2 ounces (42 grams) pink salt

You might consider 3-4 garlic cloves, slightly crushed, about 2 T whole coriander, 4 bay leaves, a small sprig of thyme (or 2 t dried), 2 t white peppercorns; add this to some of the water along and bring to a simmer for 10 min or so. Stir in the dissolveables till well dissolved, add the rest of the water (chilling it first will bring the temp down quicker) then fridge till cold.

In the future, if possible have the butcher leave the skin on everything. Then you can remove it yourself along with as much fat as you wish and render the fat for lard.

For a baste, if you wish, soak a couple slices of chopped bacon in cold water about 15 min, drain, then cook in a pot gently, till the fat renders. Meanwhile, grate a small onion onto your board and add it to the pot along with a 1/2 of a small bay leaf. Add a t or 2 or dried tyme (or a small sprig), a cup of cheap white wine, a few green or black peppercorns, a sprig of parsley, and 3-4 cups of low-salt chicken stock. Bring to a boil then simmer about 10 min. Add 2 T unsalted butter and several T of honey, enough to get a good background honey flavor and some sweetness. Cool.

After the ham smokes for a while you can start basting, or after the ham smokes for a while you can soak a triple-thickness of cheesecloth large enough to cover the ham in the baste. Put the ham in a disposible pan, drape it with the soaked cloth, then cover the pan tightly with foil leaving some headspace between the foil and ham. You can cook till done or till about 15-20 degrees shy of done whereby you'd then remove the ham from the pan, remove the cloth, and paint with a glaze every 15-20 min till you hit your target. Or, you can skip the basting process if you wish and simply apply thin veneers of glaze every 15-20 min (after smoking a while), allowing the glaze to build up like thick shellac, till your target is hit. For this, keep the cook temps moderate, perhaps a Minion start and then a cook in the 250 range, but no higher than 275. For the former baste procedure you could Minion the start, smoke gently, then raise the temp if you wish after foiling. If you then opt to glaze, lower the cooker temp to <300 during that process.

Just a few thoughts.

Back