Unable to extinguish coals after cook on WSM 22?

Rob Olive

So I'm obviously getting leakage on my 22" WSM. During a cook, it's primarily billowing from around the lid/middle section joint. Still holds temps well, however. I've installed a CB door, which has quite a gap (despite much attempted tweaking) along the top of door.

The issue is that I literally cannot extinguish coals by shutting down all dampers/vents after a cook. Would like to re-use unburnt coals and/or just be able to dispose of them the next day, but they'll keep burning slowly until they're all gone.

Are gaskets the way to go? I was also thinking about the "Smoker Jacket" thermal cover that could both help in cold weather and maybe limit intake after I've closed the dampers post-cook. Would rather not do gaskets as they seem like a pain (especially to install on a well-seasoned WSM) to install and maintain.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Rob

My first thought is to go back to the stock door, if you still have it, and see if you can tweak it into a good fit. That should stop one area of significant air infiltration.

My second thought is to carefully check the joint between the middle section and the bowl. Unlike the lid/middle joint where you get some build-up of gunk, there's none at that bottom joint and I've seen many photos (and had one such 22" WSM myself) with gaps there that allow air right into the combustion area. I filled my gap with aluminum foil, but you might consider a permanent gasket there if you find a gap.

I agree with the door. Both of my WSM's 18.5 & 22.5 have the original door and no way are they super tight around any of the mating points, but I can still shut down and re-use coals for the next time.

Only time I couldn't do that was when I bought a batch of K-Pro briqs. That stuff would just keep on burning till it was nothing but ash.

You could try removing the mid section and place the lid over the charcoal bowl and see if that snuffs it out.

A gasket under the lid is not a big deal. Easy to install. I kept the stock door on the 22 but used the same gasket as under the lid.

Clean flange under the lid. Use the teeth on the short end of a barber's comb as a trowel to spread the adhesive and carefully place the gasket. Also If you leave the lid slightly askew for a couple days at smoking then the lid wouldn't try to stick to gasket at your next use.

Back