Uhhh! Just can't eat it, can hardly take the smell! Need tips/help.

I too enjoy the process and serving the food to others more than I enjoy eating it myself. That being said, I LOVE to eat and enjoy what I make, just not as much as I enjoy the other parts. It's pretty typical of me to make notes, plan out schedules in 15 minute sections, rate and write on my recipes, etc. I'm pretty OCD with the whole process and have never really given it much thought. As long as you enjoy it, who cares?

I absolutely understand what you are saying. Cooking for a group tonight and my wife is big about dinner "starting on time". Everyone wants perfect bbq and no one wants to be flexible about it. Here is what I do to make sure I'm ready to eat.

1. Take a shower right before it is done. This is critical so you feel clean and like you can take part in the party.
2. Control your food earlier in the day. If I'm getting ready to eat tons of pork or beef, I try to get as close to all fruit and vegetables the rest of the day as possible.
3. Try to get a workout in either before you start or during. I know this isn't everyone's thing, but it really helps deal with that lethargic feeling you get at the end of a long cook.
4. Get enough alcohol down so that you have beer hunger....:)

Have a great weekend everyone.

If its brisket or pulled pork I cook the meat overnight while I am sleeping and it is served at noon.
For a dinner serving the meat has to be ribs or chicken.
My two side dishes are delicious (if I may say that about my own cooking) but they are very simple to prep and cook.
I monitor temps with probes and I really don't mess with the WSM or the food very much once the cook starts.
By the time the food is done I am ready to eat.

I used to work my tail end off cooking all sorts of extra things and by meal time I was so tired and stressed I would only nibble and pick at the food.

Simplify the menu, stop messing with the cooker, and enjoy the party.

Back