UDS

Richard_

any UDS users here ? I made mine in July of 2008 , have a total of $75.00 into it , and it works like a charm ,I know it's not as fancy as Weber WMS , but it works
icon_smile.gif

chicken thighs and a fattie
smoker004.jpg

and here it is chugging away
hhyyytt012.jpg

Smoker looks killer Richard and it don't matter what your smokin on as long as your smokin and most of all, havin fun. That chix and the fatty look great. I want to make a UDS, got the directions handy?

I'm ok with you making/using a uds. But relegating a fine piece of genuine, weber, cooking equipment for holding you thermo?

its not allowed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
But relegating a fine piece of genuine, weber, cooking equipment for holding you thermo?

its not allowed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No kidding, what's up with that?
icon_wink.gif

Where'd you get the drum?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
I'm ok with you making/using a uds. But relegating a fine piece of genuine, weber, cooking equipment for holding you thermo?

its not allowed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's multi tasking
icon_smile.gif
I have been using that little Weber for 14 years , and all it needs is some new handles

Richard, I purchased a BDS from Rocky at Big Drum Smokers several weeks ago and I love how it cooks. Mine is the Jumbo model with 2 27 inch grates and is 43 inches high. These drum cookers are a great way to smoke. Thanks for the Pics- It looks like you did a terrific job building yours.

A friend of mine is building 3 Jumbos. Got the 96 gallon drums fron Grainger and the grates from Weber. Mine are BDS clones and I love 'em!

Hey Richard, sorry to change the subject but how do you like your Ducane? I am going to order one this week and just need to know I'm not getting ripped off.

Does the lack of drip/water pan in a BDS affect the flavor of the food much?

With juices dripping on the coals, it should give off some flavors.

But when loaded with fatty meat, seems like it could get messy and flare up too with all the grease.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt_G:
Does the lack of drip/water pan in a BDS affect the flavor of the food much?

With juices dripping on the coals, it should give off some flavors.

But when loaded with fatty meat, seems like it could get messy and flare up too with all the grease. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's one of the selling point of the BDS. The meat juices drip down onto the coals, giving that traditional down-home flavor. Flair-ups are not a problem because the design has the cooking racks a safe distance from the fire. (so long as you do not leave your lid off too long). In my opinion, meat cannot get any tastier then when its been cooked on a BDS.

Anyone ever see a UDS built with a Weber 22 1/2 grill on the bottom and the lid on the top with the 55 gal. drum in between.

Jeff,

Yep. The Weber kettle on steriods is called a Magnum but I've lost track of the site where its construction plans are detailed. Maybe somebody has the link. Otherwise, you should be able to do a search for it.

HTH!

I read on the Brethren forum that several people who own the UDS do not care for the taste of the fat dripping on the coals especially for a long cook such as a butt or brisket.

I am thinking of building one and now think I am going to use a diffuser such as a wok or a pan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That's one of the selling point of the BDS. The meat juices drip down onto the coals, giving that traditional down-home flavor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just watched Raichlen use one on his show Primal Grill. He put his charcoal in the outside of the ring. I thought it looked weird, and thought about the whole meat drippings thing that was supposed to be the benefit of the BDS. I figured he was just having a Bobby Flay moment.

I absolutely love my UDS and highly recommend them. I haven't used my WSM in months. The last couple of times I did use it I just did some cold smoking with it using a smoke pistol because it is smaller than my UDS.

Very nice looking cook Richard, i do not personally have a UDS, but i use my WSM like a UDS, i took out the water pan actually do not even know where the pan is at, storage somewhere i think lol.

Back