Two-Steppin' Turkey Legs

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
The recent discussion about Amusement Park Turkey Legs spurred me to check Cheryl and Bill Jamison's book "Smoke and Spice." Here is a similar recipe to the one they did on the Food Network, but this version uses no storebought rubs or BBQ sauces.

Go by your own internal temperatures of the meat. The timing in Smoke and Spice is often quite different than we experience with the WSM.

Rita

TWO STEPPIN’ TURKEY LEGS

Serves 6.

6 turkey legs
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

TWO-STEPPIN' LEG RUB:
2 tablespoons coarse salt, either kosher or sea salt
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne

TWO-STEPPIN' LEG MOP (OPTIONAL):
Remaining Two-Steppin' Leg Rub
1 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Black Sauce, below (optional)

1. At least 4 hours, preferably the night before you plan to start your smoking session, loosen the skin on the turkey legs with your fingers without tearing the skin.

2. In a small jar with a lid, combine the Worcestershire sauce and oil. In a small bowl, combine the dry spices. With your fingers, rub the wet mixture thoroughly over the legs, getting as much as you can under the skin. Then sprinkle on a good coating of the dry season-ings, again rubbing as much under the skin as possible. Set any remaining dry rub aside to use in the mop. Place the legs in a plastic bag and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.

3. Set up your smoker to 200°F to 220°F.

4. Take the turkey legs from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes.

5. Optionally, combine the mop ingredients in a small saucepan and warm the mixture over low heat.

6. Transfer the turkey legs to the smoker. Cook until the legs are very tender and the juices run clear, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. If using, mop the legs at 45-minute intervals.

7. Eat the hot legs with your fingers. Brush on Black Sauce, if desired.

--------------------------

BLACK SAUCE: In Owensboro, Kentucky and surrounding areas, a dark, thin, and tangy black sauce similar to this is usually served on or with smoked meat. It is also a good match with other dishes, such as the Jamison’s Mustard ’n’ Lemon Chicken (Smoke & Spice, page 173).

1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Place over medium heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.

---Adapted from Cheryl and Bill Jamison. “Smoke & Spice (Revised Edition)” © 2003 The Harvard Common Press, ISBN 1-55832-262-0 (page 196)

How spicy do these turn out? I want to make them for a super bowl party and well last year there was a habanero eating contest. I want it pretty spicy but not so spicy that it negates all of the other flavors going on.

I noticed this post and would like to know if anyone can add any comments on their results of this recipe. I am thinking of smoking turkey legs tomorrow. This sounds like a great recipe.

I did a version of this leg recipe, along with a bone-in turkey breast.

Cooked all on high heat, about 350, with no H2O in pan.

Took 2.5 hours to get breast to 165 to 170, and legs were plenty done by then. The smaller legs likely could have come off earlier, but they were still moist. All came out very good.

I plan to do that cook again this weekend.

Just wondering if the recipe for the black sauce is right. The amount of worcetershire and vinegar to sugar looks out of balance to me. I don't want the sauce to be sweet but I'm thinking that this will turn out very sour.

Which book? Is it Smoke and Spice? I followed this recipe to the letter and it was awful. Even after trying to add more sugar than the recipe called for the balance was way off. After asking for help from Kevin Kruger (thanks again, Kevin) I added some veg. oil, more sugar and some water to try and "fix" things. There was still way too much black pepper. I think the black pepper should be cut back by half or to even 1/2 T.

I am interested in trying this sauce again so the name of the book or another black sauce recipe would be appreciated. Thanks.

David

Originally posted by Rita Y:
The recent discussion about Amusement Park Turkey Legs spurred me to check Cheryl and Bill Jamison's book "Smoke and Spice." Here is a similar recipe to the one they did on the Food Network, but this version uses no storebought rubs or BBQ sauces.

---Adapted from Cheryl and Bill Jamison. “Smoke & Spice (Revised Edition)” © 2003 The Harvard Common Press, ISBN 1-55832-262-0 (page 196)

Not to be a pain but the black sauce question remains unanswered. The legs come out great, no questioning that, it's the sauce that I'm having trouble with. Any chance you can verify that the sauce recipe is correct?

David, recipe calls for "1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon freshly ground black pepper." A thought, if it's too much pepper just cut it back?

Back