Amusement Park Turkey Legs

Jeff Wildrick

TVWBB Fan
My whole family has really enjoyed eating those smoked turkey legs you get at big amusement parks, and I'd like to try to replicate them on my WSM. Has anyone had success with this?

What kind of wood would you suggest?
High heat or low, and for how long?

Jeff

I havent had any luck matching the taste of them, like the legs you can get at Disney. I think they taste great. Im sure many will disagree.

Googled and this RECIPE seems to pop-up in the majority of the hits. I just happen to be doing turkey pieces tomorrow so I'll grab a couple extra legs and try it out.

That's got to be one of the most bizzar recipes I've ever seen - boiling in 7 up!

I just bought 6 legs, and I'm not sure I've got the courage to try it.
icon_eek.gif
My kids think it sounds cool.

Any other suggestions?

What do you have to loose? Your kids think it cool so you'll be #1 Dad even if they turn out bad. If they turn out good, you'll be a hero. The absolute worse that can happen is you throw them away and go to a restaurant. That ain't so bad. Go for it.

I've got 3 18 yo lined up to eat this stuff. I'm doing frankin-turkey anyway so I'm going to do these legs for them. I'll report if they live or not tomorrow. Personally, I think they're going to be killer!!!

Originally posted by LarryR:
Googled and this RECIPE seems to pop-up in the majority of the hits. I just happen to be doing turkey pieces tomorrow so I'll grab a couple extra legs and try it out.
Larry, Is that 2 TBS of Homey as in Homie or Honey? I'm guessing it's a typo and they mean Honey, Homie.
icon_biggrin.gif
Sounds like it will be really good. Hey, you know there's plenty of Dr Pepper recipes out there for BBQ and sauces, why not 7-Up!.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Dale Perry:
I havent had any luck matching the taste of them, like the legs you can get at Disney. I think they taste great. Im sure many will disagree.
Dale, I totally agree with you. Went to Disney in May. I was looking forward to one of those turkey legs. They were really good. They had a local Blues and BBQ festival close to me in June. One of the vendors had BBQ'd turkey legs. They were not bad if you got them fairly fresh. The owner and I had a long talk, of course, about bbq. He was saying he smokes them using hickory and sassafras(?). He was saying that his problem was the leg skin came out too dark. I mentioned that if he used a cherry or apple he might be able to lighten the color. He says he just might give it a try. On another note, where can you purchase just turkey legs???

Maybe its me but Amusement Park turkey legs to me mean a turkey leg that has spent way to much time in a fryolator, wasnt a good lunch IMHO...

Hey Jeff,there is a really good recipe for smoked turkey legs on food network.com. No preboiling,just marinate and smoke. Tastes like the ones you would get at a fair or at the race.

I cheat a little when I get turkey legs. I buy the pre-smoked turkey legs from Sam's and reheat them on the smoker. Even though the directions say to just reheat till warm, I still take them up to 165* before serving. Never a problem with a lack of moisture.

Now the black issue I've had myself when trying to hold the legs over an extended period of time. I was told that the black coloring come from the butter I used in my glaze. I haven't done enough experimenting to see if thats actually true or not.

That's the one. That was the first thing I made on my WSM. I've made them a couple more times with much success! Hope you enjoy.

Back