Two Part Question - Rain and Long Cooks

what's up everybody?

This is a two-part question based on my hopes to smoke a brisket on Saturday.

First, its supposed to rain. How much will rain affect the cook? Do I need to rig up some kind of umbrella or cover to prevent water from seeping into the smoker?

Secondly, when I have cooked briskets in the past, I have noticed that I tend to starting dropping temperature after about the 8 hour mark or so. This is after using a chock-full fuel ring (22.5" smoker) and utilizing the minion method. In the event I start dropping temp and I need more time...what's the best way to accomplish that? I have lit more charcoal in the chimney and poured it in but this usually causes short-lived temp spikes instead of a long-term solution.

As for adding more fuel,you could just add some unlit briquettes to the ring,not so much that you smother the exsisting coals but maybe a dozen, providing the temps hadn't dropped so low that you need hot coals.

I have found that WSMs and rain absolutely do not get along together. It does two things.

First, it cools off your cooker a lot. In fact, if I have a cook going and I need to get the temps down really fast, I will spray the outside of the cooker with a hand spray bottle and it will drop like a rock.

Second, it will get inside the cooker and make a huge mess out of all that ash in the bottom. People tell me to just let it evaporate with the heat but then the ash has to be scraped out. I prefer to keep the water out in the first place.

Yes, I've been known to stand out there in the rain with two umbrellas. One for me and the other for my cooker.

As for adding coals. I add unlit with one of those metal fireplace shovels
Shovel
It's cheap and I can put the unlit right where I want it without stirring up ash.

Russ

+1 to Alan, I use a patio umbrella with a solid base and I'm all set. You could probably find them cheap at walmart or craigslist. You won't need anything fancy.

8hrs on a full ring with a 22.5" WSM sounds light (I guess you're running mid to low 200's) Are you using briquets? If so are you tapping the legs or knocking the ash off a few times before the 8hr drop-off?

Tim

Yes you should. The ash will build up and choke down you're coals.(Less air-flow) Try that next time and see if it makes a diff.

Tim

11ft. Patio umbrella , best $99 I've spent.
First lasted 7 years, wind ate it.
Second on 2nd season.
Big enough to drag a cooker under, supplies shade a great idea.
In in bad weather, I'd smoke for 6 hrs, pan & finish in oven inside!

Umbrellas and the type of storms we get a round here do not mix. I am fortunate to have a detached garage that I can place the smoker in the door opening. Never do this with an attached garage. Also it would probably be a bad idea to actually be in the garage during the cook. I just step a foot or two into the doorway.

I built a little house for mine, really helps with the wind. Looks kind of like a shortened outhouse, has 6-10" all the way around and a slant roof 18" above the lid. Keeps the rain, snow, and wind off.

Back