Two monster 12 pound briskets

Jeff_S

TVWBB Fan
Two huge 12 pound briskets are residing in a 220 degree smoker at this very moment. Have been for 14 hours now. Its a good feeling.

At first, I was a bit worried about the quick temperature climb. Put them on at 7 pm, and by midnight they were at 160. I was afraid I was gonna have to get up at 5 am and put them in a cooler...but I woke up at 7:30 and they are still at 160...heh. This looks to be one heck of a plateau...currently over 9 hours at 160 (smoker has ranged from 200 to 220). Thinking of bringing up the temp to the 235-240 range to break it through and get the temps climbing again...I was hoping to have brisket for lunch.

Jeff

Grate at 230...briskets at 167. Up 7 degrees in the past hour...hope I'm through the plateau.

Was keeping the smoker at 220 holding the plateau? will that help with the end result, or hurt, or neither?

Jeff I usually shoot for 250 when I do brisket or butt. That is at the lid. Once into the plateau I would rather see it rise than fall. I try to stay into the 250-275 range. Once I started doing this I got my brisket done in the amount of time people here post about. Instead of the 15 hour brisket flat like my first one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
Once I started doing this I got my brisket done in the amount of time people here post about. Instead of the 15 hour brisket flat like my first one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I pushed it up to 230 and the temps started climbing right away. Gained about 10 degrees an hour...ready to come off at 11 am. 16 hours is just fine by me
icon_smile.gif

What times do people post about? I figure 1-1.5 hours per pound is about right.

I usually run on the low end of that range. After absorbing what I information I could get out of some of our high-ranking Okie teams, I'm experimenting with cooking hotter and hotter - about 280 or a little higher at the lid once I get the meat to around 140. I usually do 12-14 lb packers, and they'll take right about an hour per lb or a little less. You can do a very nice flat running hot in about five hours, but it's a much touchier cook. I know a few top teams, though, who don't even fire their smokers up 'till 4 or 5 in the morning at a comp. I'm not quite brave enough yet to try to 300 degree brisket.
icon_smile.gif

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

I've never had any problem on briskets with rubs that include sugar at these slightly higher temps. Just as a preference of taste, I prefer sweeter rubs on pork than on brisket. I like a spicier pepperier rub on beef, but my brisket rubs DO still contain some sugar. One of my favorite rubs for brisket is a commercial rub made by Phil and Linda of Smokin' Guns BBQ in north KC. Absolutely outstanding on brisket. I buy it by the 8-lb jugs. Fortunately, their son lives here in Tulsa so when they come to visit, I get delivery service.
icon_smile.gif

Of course, though, briskets are VERY good using only salt and pepper on them. Try that some time.

Keri C

Back