Two butts are better than one

BrianD

Hello folks, I have what is probably a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. Up to this point I have only smoked one boston butt at a time. But I'm having some friends and family up for Halloween and plan on smoking two. Typically, I cook at 250 degrees for about an hour and a half per pound of butt. If I'm cooking two butts should I double the time? Or maybe just increase it a bit? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Brian.

will be the same. i always try to do at least 2 butts. i thinks it's a waste of space and fuel to do just one since it freezes well and tastes just as good thawed and reheated.

I've done as many as 5 in my 18.5" and hadn't had to adjust the time too much, they always seem to take about the same amount of time. Enjoy those butts!

I have to agree with Tony C. I never cook just 1 butt at a time. Its just as easy too cook 2 or more and its also a bit more cost effective. And as Mike and Tony said... You should'nt have too adjust your time by much if any at all.

As all the guys ahead of me said time should not increase too much. Only place might be is in the beginning with adding more mass, the WSM will take longer to get up to your desired cooking temp so you may want to get it going a little earlier than you usually do.

I always cook a minimum of 2 butts on my 18.5" WSM. Usually when I have the butcher get me a 2 pack cryovac, I impulsively ask him for a second one and cook 4 at a time. It's a lot of pork, but nothing a mass text message to neighborhood friends can't take care of.

I cooked 5 butts for my staff party a couple of weeks ago could have done 6 but that would have been the maximum. took 18.5 hours and the cooker didn't go above 240. They turned out pretty awesome. took them off at 187-190 different temps for the different butts. I find if I cook any longer to say 192 or 193 it's alot dryer meat .

I have always cooked four butts on my WSM but I have the large WSM waiting to be put together and I'm thinking I should be able to cook six butts easily.

Back