Two buts and a packer on a 18.5, how ?

Travis D

TVWBB Member
It's Grey Cup up here today and everyone wants BBQ for their party. I'm doing two 7-8lb buts and a brisket packer for various people today. This is my first cook this big.
How do you fit it all on your 18.5? I have the brisket on the top rack.
I have the two buts on the bottom rack. The only way I can get them to fit is to have them a 1/2" apart and hanging over the water pan.
Does anyone stand them on end?
Or just jam it all on there making sure the buts don't touch?
Should I rotate the buts so the ends hanging over the pan don't get scorched?
I'm a little nervous since this isn't just for me.

I would probably put the 2 butts up top and in a lg pan. Even if they hang out over the grate the pan will deflect heat and you can retain juices to baste or mop. If the packer is larger than the grate you can put an empty can underneath it, that will hunch it up in the center so that the ends will pull in away from the edge of the grate. I hope that helps and ah, happy Grey cup to ya!
icon_biggrin.gif

During the cook the butts will shrink enough that you can start out with even less distance between them. And being over the edge of the water pan will not be a problem either.

yeah It all worked out just fine.
I put the buts on at 2am one on each rack. By the time I put the brisket (now just a flat) on at 6am they had shrunk just enough to both fit on the bottom grate. I just foiled the brisket. Looks like everything should be done just in time for the 3pm pick up.

My friends only wanted the flat so I cut off the point and just dropped it in brine for my first try at pastrami.

Back