TVWB Heresy!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,

Here's my best shot at having Chris delete one of my posts....

I've decided that ribs, chicken, and salmon on the WSM just aren't worth the time! From now on it's gonna be butt, brisket, tri-tip, flank steak, etc.--it's gotta be big, thick, and well-marbled.

Such heresy demands justification:

Ribs: It's a lot of work (e.g., pulling membranes), it doesn't reheat well, and I can't fit that much on my WSM anyway. I've tried four times. Getting better slowly, but figure I'll never be THAT MUCH better than Armadillo Willy's. I'd rather just spend the $10 for guaranteed good ribs at AW's.

Chicken: I don't think the hammy smoke ring really complements chicken. I like it much better indirect-cooked on my grill--tastes more chickeny and I love a crispy skin.

Salmon: Easier (e.g., judging doneness) and tastier fried on the stove.

The meats that still make the cut have a much better reward/effort ratio, even if some of them do require over-nighters. My wife and I love standing over a plate of hot brisket or butt around breakfast-time. It's amazing how much we have to sample to make sure lunch is going to come out all right.

Obviously just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

--Tom

Yeah, but think of all the calories you burn off during the prep (in contrast to all of the calories you put on during the meal!) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Tom
You should be able produce better ribs than commercial opperation anytime.
Frying salmon on the stove, heresy!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
Jim

Gotta go with Jim on this one. FRYING salmon? OMG! The worst thing I've done with salmon is put it in the micro. Fillets out of the fridge for 1 hour, sprinkle with Lowreys Seafood seasoning salt, sugar, and cracked black pepper. Cover with wax paper and nuke for 2-4 minutes and turn 1/2 another 2-4 minutes until done. Frying? How did bill the cat put it? Acchkkkkk (furball expletive).

Okay, you just don't get it. It's not about the destination.......it's about the journey. Making great "Q" is just about the most Zen experience this side of motorcycle maintenance. Hell, anyone can go buy good "Q"! I can go down the road 10 minutes to the Railhead BBQ and get the best ribs and brisket I've ever had. Where's the fun in that? I want to achieve greatness. Greatness is rarely, if ever, easy. Get your mind right boy!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom O'Neill:
[qb]Here's my best shot at having Chris delete one of my posts....[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You'll have to do a lot better than this... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Regards,
Chris

Tom, know just relax. The great thing about the wsm is it is a challenge.The problem that you have is that you have not made the best ribs, chicken, or salmon yet.You have got a lot of barbequing to do.Sit back relax, and if it doesnt turn out. Have another barley pop. HAPPY BBQ, Gary

Tom

Keep in mind you're dealing with a group of fanatics on this site - myself, to some degree, included /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . I honestly believe some things could be cooked, even inside, almost as well as on a WSM. However, that would eliminate the joy and personal satisfaction that many of us get from that wonderful machine. When that thought comes to my mind, I try to dismiss it quickly.

I think the bottom line is that even though the end product is great, you really have to enjoy the process to make it feel worth the "effort".

At least insofar as the ribs and chicken, ribs especially, I think if you stay at it you'll change your mind, Pulling the membrane is really not that much trouble. If you do BB, which I don't, I don't believe you have to pull it. Try different ways of doing the chicken. Everyone here raves about beer can chicken, but I prefer the low, slow cooking of halves. It infuses a flavor which I don't think you'll get at a resturant. Discard the skin and give your arteries a brake. They work hard enough with all the butt we put in them - I try to limit this to once per month.

In so far as salmon, I live in the deep south and WD is my best sourse for fillets. I don't use the WSM. Marinade several hours in wishbone and then grilled about 20 min over a hot grill is great. Catfish fillets are also wonderful done this way.

You don't have to use the WSM 100% of the time to enjoy it.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
PRG

Have to chime in with my Washington brethern on the salmon. Just the thought of seeing a nice bright red fillet or steak in a frying pan brings tears to my eyes.

For me, slow cooked on an alder plank is the way to enjoy salmon.

Hey, folks,

Thanks for the encouragement! Who knows, I may give the ribs another try (or two or six, whatever it would take) some time. But for now I'm busy scratching my brisket and pulled pork itches.

Paul G., I tried BB once and spares 4 times. And it's true pulling the membranes isn't that hard, but you have to foil & unfoil during cooking, turn, etc. Maybe when the kids are older, the whole zen thing will seem like more of an option.

As for the chicken and salmon, I actually think I do a good job of them on the WSM. It's just that I prefer the chicken grilled and the salmon fried. I.e., it's not technique, it's taste. (No accounting for it!)

About fried salmon: dredge in flour, pan-fry in a little oil. Get a nice crisp shell with a moist tender inside. We like it just barely done. Sorry if pan-frying turns your stomach.

Chris, sorry to let you down. I tried. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

--Tom

Hey,

Forgot to address a couple of points, sorry:

Paul G.: I don't think switching from beer can to some other chicken recipe would help. I've actually tried a couple other recipes, and my basic problem is that I don't like chicken to have the hammy smoke ring flavor. I could knock off the smoke, but at that point why use the WSM instead of the grill?

DonR: Used alder chunks, not a plank. How much difference do you think it makes?

And don't worry, folks. I still love and really enjoy cooking with my WSM.

Thanks!

--Tom

Tom,

You actually place the fillet on an alder plank while it's cooking. A lot of people just use their ovens and prepare salmon in this way. Some use cedar planks.

Sounds weird, but tastes great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hell, anyone can go buy good "Q"! I can go down the road 10 minutes to the Railhead BBQ and get the best ribs and brisket I've ever had. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Speak for yourself...I live in NY and there is no good place for "Q" anywhere I have ever found. Anyway, that's what makes me so popular...people find out that I've been cooking for 6-18 hours (depending on the cook) and consider me a Goddess...little to they know that at times, I have never left the inside of the house after I have put the cook up...Gotta love the WSM for temp stability...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Pulling the membrane is really not that much trouble. If you do BB, which I don't, I don't believe you have to pull it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, the membrane DOES need to be pulled...still too tough without pulling it off.

Before you pull the membrane on a BB, be sure there is one. I don't do BB anymore because I prefer spares; however I can recall several that had no membrne attached. Not realizing it, I tried to pull the inner, very thin membrane and ended up pulling meat.

PRG

Randy, I stand corrected. I wasn't even thinking about the fact that some of you people live in places where throwing a hamburger on a gas grill is considered Bar-B-Que!! My sincere appologies. Living in the south has spoiled me, but I travel a lot and should know better. I'm glad to know that there are people in places like NY that do know (and appreciate) true BBQ.

Even in areas where there SHOULD be good BBQ available, there are just too many places that boil or steam ribs, slap some Cattleman's sauce on them, and call them barbecue. Or serve dry shoe leather that masquerades as sliced brisket.

I'm amazed at the number of restaurants that advertise "St Louis cut" ribs on their menu, and what you get is an untrimmed rib including full brisket bone - gristle, fat pockets and all. I've been tempted to approach restaurant personnel and point out the difference between untrimmed spares and St Louis cut, but I've been good and resisted.

Robert and I (and I'm sure many others on this list) have decided that even our less successful rib cooks are better than 98% of the barbecue restaurants around here. That's when you know that you've become a barbecue snob. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I was pulling membranes from a pile of BB's once and found one that was particularly difficult. I got that blasted membrane off after much hard work, only to discover AFTER cooking that I had pulled the inner membrane. Bones just fell right out when I picked up the cooked slab. Made for interesting rib sandwiches, though.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Randy Parr:
Speak for yourself...I live in NY and there is no good place for "Q" anywhere I have ever found. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Although it is expensive, try Blue Smoke. The food is good and they have great sides and appetizers. The price is more fine dining oriented, and the WSM definately makes it just as good without the bill.

Also good in New York is Virgil's Real BBQ.

Just thought I'd chime in with a couple of places you can try when you're not in the mood to fire up your WSM.

I live in Northern California now, but I used to live in NYC for many years and still visit from time to time. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back