TV Show- Next Great Restaurant

Terre Hooks

TVWBB Fan
If any of you are watching this, I surely hope you understand the hideous confusion on the couple that is trying to make a go of a BBQ joint/southern food place...

They look obtusely confused when asked what path they are taking when they speak of grilled chicken, steak, etc., then say "pulled pork"... And one of the hosts says "pulled pork is low and slow, you are talking about changing to grilled meats, which is it?"

They have that deer in the headlights look and say "we're doing it on the BBQ".

This is one of those things that irritates me to no end. I see it on here at times...people referring to a 22" kettle as "A BBQ"...

It's a friggin' GRILL, folks. Grilling a steak, fish, chicken is NOT BBQ.

Am I alone??

I'm sure you're not alone, but it doesn't bother me. Where I live, when someone says they're going to BBQ, it likely means they're slapping burgers or brats or chicken on the grill. It's a regional thing, really.
Me,I differentiate between grilling and BBQ, but I don't get bent when others do.

That said, I watch that show as well, and if you're going to open a BBQ joint, you had better know the difference between grilling and BBQing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Curt:
Where I live, when someone says they're going to BBQ, it likely means they're slapping burgers or brats or chicken on the grill. It's a regional thing, really.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, not many Jersey folk know what real BBQ is. Doesn't bother me though, just means more for me
icon_biggrin.gif

You are not alone, sir!
It displeases me that some folk don't know the difference, but whatcha gonna do?

Wait.....I know....Let's make T-shirts!
We could have a contest for slogans and designs, and Chris could sell 'em on Cafe Press!!

Whadaya say?

Well, the term has been used in many ways over time. Apparantly George Washington went to a barbecue, which at the time was simply an outdoor party with food cooked over an open fire. But yeah, I hear you. A barbecue can be an event, but TO barbecue involves a smoke element. You really can't low and slow a burger, if you know what I mean.
icon_wink.gif

Just remember, most likely all of us barbecued for quite some time before we realized we had not been barbecuing! Also, I've never been invited to a "grilling".

I've been invited to a grilling...usually by my wife after coming home too late (early?) the night before!

You sir.....are NOT alone. BBQ is not putting some burgers on the grill- that is grilling. BBQ is a form of art and expression, and not a term that can be used simply because you are cooking outside.

Can you BBQ on a WSM? Obviously. Can you BBQ on a kettle or gas grill? Certainly. My idea of BBQ is low and slow and adding a melody of smoke to compliment a large protein.

Anywho...we should make a t-shirt...it could say something like "Just because you can light a fire doesn't mean you can BBQ" then have a photo like this:
idiot trying to BBQ

Thoughts?

I feel your pain. But it is definitely a regional thing. It seems up north BBQ means to cook anything outside. BBQ is so much more than that.

What was the name of the place they were opening ? Just need to know to avoid it.

This is a great opportunity to act as consultant to those poor souls. I grew up in Houston, Tx people would call it a BBQ when really they were grilling. Maybe some adult education classes would be of help

Back