Tutorial on preparing a full brisket?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Doing my first this weekend and it's the point and flat (I think) at 4.75lb with a funky triangle of meat on top on one side, not just the flat. It says "market trimmed" on the package and has had fat on the bottom and a thin layer between rectangle and triangle pieces overlapping each other. It doesn't have barely any fat on the edges or top.

Hoping someone can point me to a good guide with pictures on how to trim the thing before smoking it.

Jason, try the Cooking tab at the top of the page. Then scroll down to the beef. Then click on "Brisket- Midnight Cook", that has pictures that should help. I just trim as much fat without getting into the meat as I can. That has always worked well for me. Hope this helps you, good luck. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jason...

After reviewing Chris's write-up what are you thinking?

At 4 3/4 lbs. it sure sounds like a flat to me. Never seen a whole brisket that small.

Buying flats at the supermarket, I usually see what I would consider "super-trimmed"-- the flat, and nothing but the flat. I have, however, purchased select flats in cryo at Sam's, and they often seem to have a little point-- or remnant thereof-- on them. Usually means an extra day in the pastrami cure.

Sounds like you got a flat and someone did some trimming for you. Was this store packaged (styrofoam bottom with plastic wrap) or in cryovac (thick plastic with heat-sealed edges)?

Styro and apparently super trimmed, looks like this one:

brisketselect11.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb]I have, however, purchased select flats in cryo at Sam's, and they often seem to have a little point-- or remnant thereof-- on them. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep, I've had USDA Choice CAB brisket flats with some point left on, too. Might be what Jason has.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back