Turning 40 the BBQ way.

Chris Mills

TVWBB Fan
My birthday was actually yesterday but thats besides the point. I'm doing an overnight cook for a lunch with some friends tomorrow. Plenty of food and good beer (Dogfish Head IPA, Anchor Porter, Brooklyn Lager) to be followed by Rock Band on the 360 and Smash Brothers on the Wii.

Prepped and rubbed the 2 butts this morning as well as prepped up the 3 racks of loin backs. I've also got a 13lb chuck roast that I'm going to split in half. Butts and chuck will go on at 6pm tonight on the WSM and I'll put the ribs on my offset at around 5am and a pot of beans on the offset at around 8-9am. Going to use some cherry for the butts/chuck and maple for the ribs/beans.

Weather will be interesting. Its been raining all day with the temps in the 30's. Supposed to keep raining until later tonight where it may switch over to snow. Should be fun.
icon_smile.gif

I'll get some pictures up a bit later.

Congrats Chris !! I wish that I could turn 40...again. Happy Birthday !

Hope that you don't get any of the "Ohio" snow that is heading east.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Kaylor:
Congrats Chris !! I wish that I could turn 40...again. Happy Birthday !

Hope that you don't get any of the "Ohio" snow that is heading east. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think I've got to worry about that much snow but the rain is just pouring down.

4 hours in and temp is holding between 220-225 at grate. I've got the chuck on the top rack and the butts on the bottom. Will baste the butts around midnight (6 hours).

Well, just pulled off the quick draw basting challenge in about 3 minutes. What I mean is, I've got the chuck on the top rack and the butts on the bottom. I wanted to roll and baste the butts shortly after the 6 hour mark, so I had everything in position and made my move. Pulled the top rack off, basted and rolled the butts, stuck a thermometer probe in one of the butts, top rack back on, reseated the grate probe (Maverick ET-73) and put the 2nd probe in one of the chuck pieces, cover back on. Pit is back up to 222F at grate and the butt and chuck are both reading right around 145F. I'll keep an eye on things a bit longer, throw a couple more pieces of cherry on and crash for a few hours. Ribs go on the offset at 5am.

Happy Birthday Chris! Keep us posted on how the smoke is going and take a few pics if you have the opportunity.

Congrats and Happy Birthday.

I remember mine well as does my daughter. She found a 165 pound dead pig in a sleeping bag with ice in her bath tub
icon_biggrin.gif

Not to get off-topic but I just picked up Super Smash Bros and can't wait to play it. It looks like a lot of fun.

hey chris, Happy B Day. Just a little off topic but how is the new Smash Bro's. I hope to play it soon so i am just wondering what you thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KevinJ:
hey chris, Happy B Day. Just a little off topic but how is the new Smash Bro's. I hope to play it soon so i am just wondering what you thought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Game is very cool. My 2 oldest kids and I had a blast playing last night. If you have some old Gamecube controllers I'd use them since its still a button mash type of game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roger P:
Thanks Chris, you just cost me $49.00 + tax. Great game so far
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you like it. BTW, if your a 360 gamer as well you can usually find me on Live at night playing Call of Duty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Mills:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roger P:
Thanks Chris, you just cost me $49.00 + tax. Great game so far
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you like it. BTW, if your a 360 gamer as well you can usually find me on Live at night playing Call of Duty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I play COD4 all the time. Feel free to send me an email and give me your xbox live profile name and we can hook up some time.

Back