Turkish Stuffed Eggplant

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Here's a few pictures of a cook I did yesterday. This is Turkish Stuffed Eggplant, or Karniyarik. The stuffing consists of one pound of ground lamb, onion and other spices. I sided it up with white Basmati Rice and also made a bowl of Tzatziki sauce. (Greek Yogurt, grated cucumber, crushed garlic, lemon juice, fresh dill, salt, pepper and cayenne) This was absolutely delicious. On a disappointing note, I had a camera problem, not sure what yet, and the last three or four photos I took, including the plate shot are not on the chip. Operator error I'm hoping. I'll find out after tonight's cook.

Peeled (partially) and oiled 4 rather large eggplants. Would have preferred smaller ones but I scoured the town and there were none to be had.

enhance

Got them on the 22" Weber on some indirect heat, running the kettle at 400° for 45 minutes. This partially cooked eggplant.

enhance

enhance

While they were cooling I got to work on a really nice stuffing using the ground lamb. Sweated a chopped yellow onion in some oil.

enhance

After thoroughly browned added a bunch of chopped garlic, black pepper, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and dried rosemary.

enhance

Added flat leaf parsley.

enhance

enhance

Finally added 1 1/2 cups of chopped peppers. I used a poblano, anaheim and jalapeno.

enhance

Here's the last shot on my chip. Peppers are stuffed after filling cooled to handle. Back on the grill for another 45 minutes. Added a cup of chicken broth to the dish also.

enhance

Well, that's all there is. This was a terrific meal topped with the Tzatziki (also not shown) along with the white Basmati Rice. Such wonderful smells while cooking. The heavily spiced lamb along with the cucumber and dill in the Tzatziki was a great combination. Will do this again soon. Thanks for looking everyone. Hope you all have a great weekend.

Oh yeah, this is a Chef John recipe if anyone wants to give it a go.

Well... I don't know about that cook, Cliff. It's way out there. I'm sure my wife would love it because she likes eggplant. Me, not so much.
I'm know I'd like all the other ingredients. Guess I'd try it if someone else served it for dinner.

I’ve voiced my opinion about eggplant before but, the lamb component beats the eggplant apathy. That would be a killer pepper filling too!!!

Back