Turkish chicken kabobs

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
@RichPB (richlife) , here ya go.

Turkish Chicken Kabobs

Ingredients
  • Juice of one whole large lemon - strain the seeds
  • 8 minced cloves garlic - adjust if you like less garlic
  • 2 tsp kosher salt (salt to your taste)
  • 2 Tbs cooking oil
  • 2 Tbs hot pepper paste, or use tomato paste and add some pepper flakes to it
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp paprika - use smoked, sweet or whichever you desire
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper - pepper to your desired taste
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper powder - adjust to your taste
  • 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs - cubed into large cubes
  • 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts - cubed into large cubes
Place cubed chicken pieces in large work bowl. Add the minced garlic, kosher salt to taste, lemon juice and cooking oil. Mix thoroughly to combine and spread evenly through the chicken pieces.

Let rest 5 minutes so the chicken absorbs the lemon juice and salt. Then add all the remaining ingredients to the chicken. Toss and evenly coat the chicken with all the spices. Marinate on countertop for 30 minutes.

Prepare hot coals.

Skewer the chicken cubes onto metal skewers. Place over hot coals, turning frequently so the chicken pieces brown, not burn. When breast pieces reach 155/160 with a probe thermometer, remove from heat and skewer. When thighs reach 165/170, remove from heat and skewer.

Tent and rest chicken pieces for 5 minutes

Serve and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cleaned up the formatting a bit because I want to feature this recipe in my August newsletter.

But I'm confused about the steps. It says to skewer the chicken cubes on metal skewers. Then after cooking, it says to remove from heat and skewer. But they're already skewered, right?

I cleaned up the formatting a bit because I want to feature this recipe in my August newsletter.

But I'm confused about the steps. It says to skewer the chicken cubes on metal skewers. Then after cooking, it says to remove from heat and skewer. But they're already skewered, right?
lemme do a quick mental re-read and reply back in detail.

Specifically: "When breast pieces reach 155/160 with a probe thermometer, remove from heat and skewer. When thighs reach 165/170, remove from heat and skewer."

this last step is two fold, remove the skewerd chicken from the fire (still on the skewers) and then, immediately remove the chicken from the metal skewers.

the metal skewers (the skinny sword ones i used on this cook, close to these in quality https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H6H278M/?tag=tvwb-20) retain heat and help cook the skewered meat. the reason for removing the meat from the skewers is to stop the meat from drawing heat out of the metal skewers and drying the chicken out. you could leave the meat on the skewers for visual presentation, but the skewers will/could be hot and an unassuming person would grab the metal handle end and possibly get a burn. thus the recco to remove the meat from the skewer once removing the skewers from the heat source when chicken has reached proper temps.

lmk if i created any confusion here. feel free to delete this post if it messes up the thread/creates confusion to future readers.

thanks for featuring this recipe! i feel honored!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back